Food and flames entertained students Saturday night for new dorm celebration

A formal ribbon-cutting and evening party celebrated the opening of the four new South Green dorms and the Living Learning Center.

After enduring the first week of classes, Cole Murtiff came to Ohio University’s celebration for the new residence halls to have a good time.

The freshman studying engineering willingly fell 20 feet off a platform as part of the stunt jump.

“It was pretty scary, it’s a lot higher than it looks,” Murtiff said.

The stunt jump along with free funnel cakes, zip lining, a flame thrower and other activities entertained students Saturday night as part of the day-long the grand-opening celebration for the new South Green residential halls.

A ribbon cutting ceremony took place earlier Saturday that brought back former Vice Presidents for Student Affairs, Kent Smith and Ryan Lombardi.

Lombardi said the project was conceptualized by Smith, his predecessor who left OU in 2012, and the Board of Trustees. The university broke ground during Lombardi’s tenure, and the buildings were essentially finished when he left OU in July.

“It had been such a big part of my vice presidency that I felt like I needed to come back and see the culmination, and to support Jenny (Hall-Jones), to support the president.” Lombardi said. “I’m just thrilled for the students that this opening for great things.”

Before Tanaka, Carr, Sowle and Luchs stood on South Green, the space was occupied by two parking lots and the two-story Wolfe Street Apartments, Christine Sheets, assistant vice president for student affairs, said to a crowd of about 150.

“A diverse group of faculty, staff, architects, construction firms and city representative have planned, built and created a home for our students that will last for decades to come,” Sheets said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="ee44ea46-4d12-11e5-b301-2f1e654dd29a"}}

The four new South Green dorms give Residential Housing space, including 912 beds as part of Phase 1 of the Housing Master Plan.  

“It is humbling and thrilling to look back at all that has brought us to this long-awaited moment,” OU President Roderick McDavis said. “This building complex is a source of Bobcat pride.”

Representatives of each of the building's’ namesakes cut the ribbon along with McDavis, Sheets and Interim Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones.

Sheets said she enjoyed learning about the four people the residential halls were named after.

“It just takes one person to change lives,” she said.

Members of OU’s Student Union silently protested during the ribbon cutting. Officers from the OU Police Department were present during the ribbon cutting and spoke with protesters who were standing on the steps of the ceremony platform.

Student Union members said they were protesting the firing of Residential Assistants and showing their support of efforts to unionize RA’s.  

“RAs don’t have any representation, so someone heard that they were talking about drinking, and they just one after another got fired,” Kim Oswald, a junior studying strategic communication, said.

The Department of Housing and Residence Life Executive Director Pete Trentacoste did not respond to a request for comment on the alleged firing as of press time.

The RAs are currently trying to unionize in order to receive higher wages, a more concrete discipline process for RAs and more say in the placement and rehire process. Sixty percent of RAs need to sign membership cards to unionize.

Oswald said she was an RA in Dougan House last year before she quit.

“I definitely support this because the job is really hard,” Oswald said.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu