Attack Cat Logo

OU’s logo named one of the best in the country

OU’s "Attack Cat" logo was named alongside the University of Notre Dame and the University of Texas as one of the top 12 college logos in the country by HubSpot Blogs.

Fans of Ohio University have one more thing to cheer for.

OU’s logo, the “Attack Cat,” has been named one of the 12 best college logo designs by HubSpot Blogs.

According to its website, HubSpot is an Internet marketing software tool that also features blogs.

Tyler Littwin, art director at HubSpot, selected 12 of the best college logo designs from universities across the United States. The article states the best logos are simple, memorable, timeless, versatile and appropriate.

In 2002, the university chose the Attack Cat as the official logo of the university, replacing the OU Paw, which depicted a Bobcat pawprint. The Attack Cat features OU’s mascot, a bobcat, with the word Ohio emblazoned in green behind it.

"It's a good integration of an illustration with type,” Littwin said of OU’s logo. “The whiskers create a nice baseline for the arced text. There’s also an overall nice balance. The bobcat is recognizable and 'Ohio' is still 100 percent legible.”

In 1996, officials in the OU Athletics Department tasked an outside firm with creating a new logo, and thus the Attack Cat was born.

Also on the list of top logos are the University of Texas’s Longhorn, the University of North Carolina’s interlocking “NC,” Oregon University’s “O,” the University of Notre Dame’s “ND” monogram and the University of Miami’s “U,” among others.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu