The Ohio University swim team practices inside of the Aquatic Center on November 13, 2013. The City of Athens may not have the assets to build their own indoor pool.

Ohio University Aquatic Center to be closed July through August

OU's Aquatic Center's renovations will make it more accessible and include gender-neutral changing rooms.

Not all of Ohio University's campus buildings offer gender-neutral facilities, but over time the list of those that do is growing.

Through renovations promoted by Campus Recreation, OU’s Aquatic Center will come into compliance with the standards that are set by the Americans with Disabilities Act, according to a news release from the university.

As part of the renovations, the center’s drying area will be converted into private ADA accessible, gender-neutral and family changing rooms that will include a bathroom and shower.

Because of the renovations, the Aquatic Center will be be closed from July 1 to Aug. 24, according to the news release.

Overseeing the renovations is the university's design and construction team, along with the OU’s Office of Institutional Equity. The Aquatic Center opened in 1984, and since then the ADA codes and requirements have been altered.

“Together, we have been working on the design and discussing ADA regulations and how best to meet them along the way,” Joe Wakeley, assistant director of the Aquatic Center and Bird Ice Arena, said in the news release.

The renovations also include installing two accessible chair lifts for the pool area and constructing a safer entrance into the Aquatic Center with automatic push plate doors and extra railings.

“Providing access to all our patrons is necessary to the success of our operation,” Wakeley said in the news release. “This new design will help our operation meet a growing need from our students and community.”

During the two months of renovations, the Aquatic Center also plans to drain the pool and repair the tile and grout in the pool.

The Aquatic Center is scheduled to reopen for the 2015-16 academic year and will continue to offer recreational and lap swim hours through the end of June.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu