A stage crew member throws confetti into the crowd during the DJ B-Funk performance on the North Stage on Court Street in Athens, O.H on Saturday, October 25, 2014. 

Proposed ordinance might prevent city sponsorship of Halloween

A proposed city ordinance meant to formalize event planning in the city might unintentionally prevent the city from funding the annual Halloween party.

An ordinance being drafted by Athens City Council members has some city officials concerned that events like the annual Athens Halloween Block Party could lose city funding or have organizers withdraw participation.

The proposed ordinance, introduced by Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, was discussed at a recent city council meeting as an attempt to formalize the city’s expectations for event planners, including what events will be sponsored by the city.

“I’ve heard that there is some discussion between lots of parties about how you define what 'sponsorship' is,” Fahl said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="318f7b94-5e31-11e4-ada3-0017a43b2370"}}

Councilman Jeff Risner, D-2nd Ward, said the city is currently considered a sponsor of the Athens Halloween Block Party because city employees' overtime pay, cleanup and police costs are paid through city funds.

The city also works with the event's organizers by closing off Court Street and temporarily suspending the city’s noise ordinance in the area.

Risner said he hadn’t heard of any disputes regarding the ordinance.

But Jonathan Holmberg, chair of the Athens Clean and Safe Halloween Committee, said he might step down from his role if he the city were to stop its funding. Holmberg has held the position for 35 years, Risner said.

Risner said if he were to step down, it could have dire consequences.

“They’re the ones that do the organizing,” he said of the committee. “I don’t know what would happen. I think it could be bad. Who would take their place? Who would be qualified for it?”

Holmberg could not be reached for comment.

Fahl said she thinks the ordinance is being misinterpreted.

“There’s no reason why this ordinance would prevent the city from funding (the block party),” she said. “There’s nothing in the draft language that says the city is going to stop paying for things. It’s formalizing the process that we go through to plan events.”

She added the ordinance, at this point, is only a draft and has not even gone up for a vote by council.

“Certainly if that could be read that way then I think we’ll have to revisit this ordinance,” Risner said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b12db53a-5b04-11e4-bf3a-0017a43b2370"}}

Fahl said she is already considering removing one part of the ordinance that caused confusion at previous council meetings.

That part of the ordinance would have allowed the city to deny an event permit application if the event conflicted with certain “grandfathered” events that have historical significance in the city.

Halloween would have been one of those events.

Instead, the new draft of the ordinance will likely just contain a clause allowing the city to deny an application if there are too many other events that day.

“I guess it’ll just be first come, first served,” she said.

@wtperkins

wp198712@ohio.edu