Baseball: Ohio 7, Toledo 4

Cozart ties Ohio’s saves in a season record at nine.

Senior reliever Logan Cozart graduated Saturday morning.

Saturday night, he tied Ohio’s saves in a season record (nine), as the Bobcats trumped Toledo 7-4 at Bob Wren Stadium.

The win tied the series at 1-1, after the Rockets glided by Ohio 11-2 Friday night.

“Our guys just battled,” coach Rob Smith said. “They were very competitive. Last night I didn’t think we were competitive at all at the plate. Our approach was good and our approach was solid and you could see that as we were hitting balls in different parts of the field.”

Toledo was quick to add runs to the scoreboard, taking a 2-0 lead in the top of the first. Ohio responded with a run in the bottom of the inning, and then a two-run homer from senior catcher Kyle Dean in the second.

In the third, a home run from junior Cody Gaertner gave the Bobcats a 4-2 lead, which Toledo tied in the fourth inning.

Ohio regained the lead in the bottom of the inning and maintained throughout the night.

But it was Cozart’s composure in the sixth inning, keeping Toledo scoreless with the bases loaded. Cozart went 3.2 innings, striking out three, while giving up a hit and three walks.

“He’s been doing that all year for us,” Smith said. “He’s the guy you want out there when the game is on the line and in a tough situation to work through. He’s one of the best competitors I’ve ever coached, and he shows that night in and night out.”

With the final game in the series set for 1 p.m. Sunday, Ohio has an opportunity to win its third consecutive weekend series.

The Bobcats took two wins from Kent two weeks ago, and swept Akron last weekend at home.