University to detail its ‘Master Plan’ for next 10 years

OU officials will hold public hearings on the Comprehensive Master Plan 2016, which forms a plan for how Ohio University will approach the next 10 years.

Ohio University officials will gather over the next two days to explain the latest on their plan for the university’s next 10 years.

The Comprehensive Master Plan 2016, which is expected to be finalized and presented in late 2015, will analyze plans for renovations and new construction, the Dublin Campus Master Plan, campus recreation and how to best to use its land.

“Our goal is to make choices based on a long-range plan, determine academic and campus-wide space needs, develop innovative and interdisciplinary solutions and ultimately create a roadmap to execute within practical constraints,” Shawna Bolin, director of university planning and space management, said in an email.

The university is consulting with Ayers Saint Gross, a Baltimore, Maryland-based firm that specializes in higher education.

The Ridges, for which officials are still finalizing plans, will be included in the 2016 plan.

“There may be some discussion about The Ridges, but I think the focus is much broader in terms of planning for the campus,” Joseph Shields, vice president for research and dean of the Graduate College, said in an email. “I think these meetings are important for getting ideas and feedback from a broad collection of people with an interest in what the campus looks like in the future.”

Bolin said the meeting will include a presentation on the process to create the master plan and open discussion time for ideas.

Those who attend the event can also provide feedback at six focused activity tables on open space, stewardship, mobility systems, academic and research, student life and city and community engagement, she said.

“We are holding an open house so that the community can meet our master plan consultant and OHIO planning team, gather information about the process and where we are in it and have an opportunity to provide input so that we make sure as we are planning the future of the campus that everyone’s voice is heard,” Bolin said.

The plan will incorporate and review efforts from the last master plan update in 2006, Bolin said.

“Campuses are not static entities; they are constantly changing physically, socially, pedagogically, and even economically,” Bolin said. “As our academic strategies, priorities and vision changes, updating the campus master plan provides an opportunity to support our academic mission and ensure that we are providing an environment where current and future generations want to be.”

Officials said it was important for students, faculty, staff and area residents to attend the meetings so they can receive feedback.

“This is our university,” Bolin said. “Everyone should have the opportunity for their voice to be heard. Input will help us plan how we deliver transformative learning experiences for current and next generations.”

@kcoward02

kc769413@ohio.edu