SOS presidential nominee makes case for campaign

SOS presidential candidate addresses accusations, advocates for ticket

At the Student Senate Presidential Debate Wednesday night, students heard from five candidates; five candidates vying to lead Student Senate; five candidates fighting to represent your interests; five candidates competing for your vote.

But only one will be elected to lead next year’s Student Senate.

I firmly believe that Ohio University’s Student Senate needs a leader with strong student advocacy experience and a passion to do more. The organization needs a leader that collaborates well with others to inclusively represent the interests of our diverse student body. The organization needs a leader that is accountable to all.

You deserve that. 

At the debate, I was attacked for not having done anything this year. Instead of blocking traffic and using a bullhorn to shout my success, or issuing demands through empty resolutions, here’s what I did: I worked with students, I met with administrators and I collaborated with the Residence Life Commission to advocate for you. As South Green Senator I worked with my team to hold open forums to educate students on new Boyd and new South. I worked to re-evaluate our Hall Council system of government within the residence halls. I helped create mediums to connect RAs to administration. I regularly meet with residence groups on campus. As well, my team and I advocated for students in culinary affairs and for the new construction of South Green residence halls. Many of the features of these new halls and new Boyd are things we thought you would want to see. Currently, we are working on fest literature to be handed out right before Number Fest. And this past year, when the current senate would not hold their administration responsible, I organized a petition to recall the Student Senate election. 

I have strong student advocacy experience and the passion to take this to the next level. SOS will better serve students through a variety of attainable goals and projects next year. These initiatives — from textbook scholarships to better student working conditions and opportunities to diversity and safety trainings — will create a better Bobcat experience for students at Ohio University. Advocating for guaranteed tuition accountability and student trustee voting rights will maintain this positive experience for years to come.

Moreover, I believe in stronger accountability of Student Senate representatives and better outreach to the student body. SOS and all of its student leaders are pledging themselves to you, to be your advocates, to represent your voice.

Gabrielle Bacha is an Ohio University junior running for 2015-2016 Student Senate President on the Serving Our Students (SOS) ticket.