Shortened suspension for 'Post' opinion editor is 'fair and even-handed'

After a week-and-a-half suspension, The Post's opinion editor will return to the newsroom Wednesday.

The Post’s opinion editor will be reinstated from a two-week suspension four days ahead of schedule, effective at 3 p.m. Wednesday.

I have arrived at this decision after intense discussion with The Post’s top editors. I also consulted with members of The Post’s publishing board, which recommended I reinstate the editor early.

For some, this decision may seem to diminish The Post’s hardline stance against the opinion editor’s clear violation of journalistic ethics. I can assure you it does not. The Post’s ethical standards have not softened in any way — even with the editor back in the newsroom after a truncated suspension.

The opinion editor’s agreement to allow Ohio University President Roderick McDavis to write occasional op-eds for The Post that would be published and not commented on by The Post staff for 24 hours was wrong. It remains wrong. The opinion editor agrees.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b0cbe8ea-e241-11e4-b23b-93cf515f5295"}}

The opinion editor and I also agree that I was well within my authority to issue such a suspension, though we disagreed over its length. We agree the suspension served its purpose: the editor has learned from the mistake. I took a hardline stance in support of our employees’ responsibility to uphold the editorial independence of The Post and the publication was transparent in its decision making. Those and many other considerations in mind, the opinion editor and I agreed that being reinstated ahead of schedule would fall in line with the publication's best interests.

In addition to the fact that the opinion editor has been disciplined, the public has appropriately scrutinized The Post and the President’s Office is aware we deem this kind of arrangement with an independent student publication inappropriate.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d86f61e8-e48e-11e4-a9b1-2f20bc525e8d"}}

A shortened suspension — decided by myself entirely, with consultation from my trusted peers and advisors — is a fair and even-handed institutional response when considering the merits of this difficult case.

The Post is strong and editorially independent, now and always, and will continue to update its newsroom policies to reflect the highest journalistic standards and best practices.

Jim Ryan is a senior studying journalism and political science and editor-in-chief of The Post. Contact him at jr992810@ohio.edu or on Twitter at @Jimryan015.