Cassie Fait

OU seniors have reason to miss Athens' restaurants after graduation

One senior talks how much she will miss grabbing a late-night bite uptown.

Must I leave the food haven of Athens?

As I walked down Court Street on Monday, it really hit me how much of my college career occurred on this street over the past four years. I wouldn’t have had any of those oddball and endearing moments were it not for the street. Some of my fondest and quirkiest memories revolve around food on Court Street.

More so, I will really pine for these one-of-a-kind eateries. Athens has attracted so much gastronomic talent in this small city; I wish I could mention all of them.

After only five years, The Fluff ingrained itself as a community staple. I hope to come back to find The Fluff owned by a new energetic team of people. Hopefully, Jackie O’s will once again be able to use their larger kitchen.

When I leave Ohio University in May, change is bound to occur, but I wholeheartedly hope that certain restaurants and cafes never change.

I have made a friend in Jay who runs the Not Guilty food truck. His friendly manner and morning chitchat will certainly be missed, as well as his chorizo breakfast tacos.

Athens’ late night goodies like O’Betty’s will be dreamed of at night. Those workers always handled the late night crowd like pros. They never blinked an eye when I quirkily ordered my Shy Dog (vegetarian hot dog) with real bacon and coleslaw (Blaze style). One cashier even commented he liked his the same way.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b84ae662-d967-11e4-b159-83c64d877acc"}}

All of my food cravings are luckily fulfilled in a few blocks. The Athena serves perhaps the best popcorn that has come across my lips. Though I was disgusted that I once found a twig in my popcorn, the concession stand worker quickly reassured me that it was Shagbark popcorn. That was one of the most comforting moments of my life.

Court Street never disappointed me with their coffee selection. When I started to lose energy, Whit’s Affogato – vanilla custard and coffee – and Fluff’s Silver Bridge Coffee powered me through the afternoons. Silver Bridge Coffee will forever remain my favorite coffee for the robust flavor of the roasts.

I certainly can’t forget the moments occurring off of Court Street. I met and bonded with so many fantastic, whimsical friends at the dining halls. Although the food disappointed at times, dining halls acted more as a meeting ground for many friends that I regrettably don’t see as often now.

Then there was the time my boyfriend attempted to surprise me by taking me to 9 Tables. He knows the way to my heart is through my stomach. Along those same lines, one date during my freshmen year pretended to enjoy Casa Nueva’s tofu fries to please me.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="052c5eba-d946-11e4-8fff-8f1ee7b78ac2"}}

I truly regret only first eating Casa Nueva’s brunch a few weeks ago. Since then, I have partaken in many brunch outings with friends. I will cherish those brunches with friends who contain the biggest hearts and truly remarkable talents.

As I wrap up my last published piece for an OU publication, I appreciate the relationship between food and Athens’ community ties. Ohio University has fed not only my stomach but also my heart and my mind as I embark on my career as a journalist.

Cassie Fait is a senior studying journalism and women’s, gender and sexuality studies. Email her at cf301411@ohio.edu.