Letter: BARE ticket has proved they’re worthy of Student Senate

An Ohio University student says students need action, not promises, and the BARE ticket is "the only ticket that has exhibited a commitment to such action"

To the Editor,

With election day approaching, it is crucial that we, as voters, be critical of ticket platforms. As someone who commits a lot of time to movements combating campus sexual violence and eradicating rape culture, you would think I’d be ecstatic that many of the platforms have promised to prioritize these issues. Instead, I am deeply frustrated.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="7e2e044a-defe-11e4-8fd8-4b3ec685eaa7"}}

In the presidential debate, the Phoenix candidate pledged his ticket’s commitment to ending “power-based violence.” However, never have I once seen Tony Piccioni at a F--kRapeCulture protest or FEM meeting. Similarly in recent chalking efforts, SOS calls to “revive OU programs [including] TBTN.” Strangely enough, I have never seen Gabby Bacha or anyone else from SOS at a Take Back the Night planning discussion.

Clearly, these issues have not been prioritized; they have been trivialized and manipulated into a political maneuver to pull votes. These issues I mention are not shiny; they are not attractive. They are not meant for appealing to voters who actually care. These issues are pervasive, and if we truly wish to see change then we need action, not promises.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="68626de0-defe-11e4-82bd-db2fa7d49ef9"}}

The BARE ticket is the only ticket that has exhibited a commitment to such action — and not just in light of election season. They have shown solidarity at FRC rallies, mobilized for Women’s Affairs Commission events and protested for OUSAP services. They do not utilize the fight for emancipation from an oppressive system for political gain; they fight to destroy the system. And that is why I am voting BARE.

Alyssa Ensminger is a student at Ohio University.