This flu season Hudson Health Center is offering flu shots to students. 

Flood damages electrical systems in Hudson Hall

Flooding has caused officials to turn off temporary power to Hudson Hall.

Hudson Hall is operating with limited power after encountering problems resulting from water damage to several electrical systems.

On Sunday, a damaged return steam line malfunctioned and flooded the basement.

The steam line was replaced Sunday.

“Facilities discovered that water had entered the basement of Hudson,” Joe Lalley, senior associate Vice President of IT and Administrative Services, said in an email. “We immediately turned off the power until we could restore safe conditions.”

As of Monday afternoon, Hudson Hall remains open. Patients continue to be seen and the lights were on in the building.

In order to power Hudson, generators have been installed outside the building on the southwest corner, Lalley said.

“Each day, we must shut down the generator for a short period of time in order to service it,” Lalley said. “This takes place after business hours.”

As of Sunday afternoon, the cables between the generator and the building were underwater, according to an email sent by University Service Center Servicedesk.

Officials are not concerned about the possibility of mold growing in the basement of Hudson, Lalley said.

The building also encountered electrical problems last Thursday, after storm-water runoff damaged a transformer located in the basement of the Radio-Television Building.

“The transformer serves several buildings, including Hudson,” Lalley said. “We were able to rewire some of the transformer’s circuits and restore power to all buildings served by the transformer, with the exception of Hudson, by 11 p.m. on Thursday evening.”

Last week, Stocker Center also had a pipe malfunction on April 8.

“The Stocker Hall leak originated from a chilled water coil that was apparently damaged last winter,” Lalley said.  

Improperly secured valves were the root of the problem.

He says that the two “are unrelated events on a very big campus."

This story has been updated from its original version

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu