Ohio University president Roderick McDavis speaks on multiple issues at the faculty senate meeting last year.

Faculty Senate to consider endorsing federal legislation about intercollegiate athletics

At Monday’s faculty senate meeting, Faculty will have a first reading of a resolution to endorse legislation about intercollegiate athletics

Faculty Senate on Monday will consider endorsing a bill recently introduced in Congress that would push for a wider discussion on intercollegiate athletics in the country.

The bill, which was introduced in the to the U.S. House of Representatives in January and is currently in that chamber’s Education and the Workforce Committee, aims to establish a commission that would examine national issues relating to intercollegiate athletics.

Areas important for such a committee to tackle: cost escalation at NCAA-member institutions and the integrity of academic programs for student-athletes, Faculty Senate Chair Beth Quitslund said in an email.

Faculty will also vote on two resolutions previously discussed at last month’s meeting. One resolution would update wording about sexual misconduct in the Faculty Handbook with current university policy and federal law.

The second resolution would temporarily allow for health benefits policies that contradict the handbook because of outdated wording that has yet to be changed.

Quitslund will report about this year’s Faculty Senate election and introduce recently elected senators. Faculty will also elect new officers for the 2015-16 year at the meeting. Senate will hold its last meeting on May 4.

Robert Colvin and Ann Gabriel, faculty athletic representatives for the NCAA, will give their annual presentation to the senate.

Also at Monday’s meeting:

• President Roderick McDavis and Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit will provide updates and speak with Faculty.
  • The Educational Policy and Student Affairs Committee will introduce two resolutions about amending an associate degree program and changing requirements for doctoral programs.
  • The Professional Relations Committee will propose a resolution to clarify the role of Group III faculty.

@AlxMeyer

am095013@ohio.edu