School’s treatment of Greg Emery is 'shameless'

A 2003 alum writes in his support of Greg Emery.

To the Editor, 

After your reporting last week on Ohio University’s actions regarding the Global Leadership Center (GLC) and Dr. Greg Emery, I would like to express shock at how the university treated a distinguished leader of an award-winning and internationally recognized and respected program. To cite just one example, the GLC, under Dr. Emery's leadership, received an award at the United Nations, naming it one of America's most innovative international education programs. As a former Ohio University Trustees Academy member (>$20,000 in giving) and an alum of the university and GLC, I can no longer continue to donate "time, talent, or treasure" to the university. A group of alumni and friends of the GLC have rescinded over $1.5 million dollars from the university in the past few months because of directionlessness and profound lack of integrity on the part of Vice Provost LJ Edmonds. Initial baseless allegations, made by Edmonds against Dr. Emery (who has been exonerated by the university), is a shameless and venal tactic to achieve personal gain.

I hope the university takes a close look at how this whole sordid affair started. University leadership, especially Edmonds, should be held accountable for such damaging and ill-informed decision-making.

Brian Fruchey is a 2003 Ohio University alumnus.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="dd9eef0e-ce8a-11e4-aee1-233cab6854ac"}}