Student senate vice president Caitlyn McDaniel

Open senate voting does not equal powerful voice

Student Senate Vice President says senate’s newest resolution will allow for more direct representation.

To the Editor,

Last Wednesday, a resolution was proposed and added to the Student Senate agenda. No, it wasn't posted online for very long, but the content was not shocking. In fact, I didn't find it very surprising that a ticket elected by the student body on the very platform of direct democracy and student unionization would pass legislation like this so swiftly. Resolution 1415-74 opens voting in Student Senate to every member of the student body. Elected representatives will still exist; however, our power is significantly diminished (I’m glad to say).

You can vote now! Granted, you’re only really voting on resolutions that won’t actually change any minds in the administration … and probably no one will care about those resolutions because most of the student body feels very disenchanted with campus politics right now ... but you could say that your dialogue and input has been “legitimized” in the eyes of the administrators, and for that reason you are sort of empowered (yay).

Don’t be mad at senate for passing this resolution. We all knew it was going to happen eventually. I’m actually incredibly disappointed that it didn’t happen sooner. So what now? Acknowledge the futility of a “governing” body that is completely impotent in the eyes of the administration. Acknowledge that we only have the power that we are willing to fight for. Acknowledge that shared power is in the best interests of students, and get ready to engage. As long as the next senate lets you, that is.

Caitlyn McDaniel is the Vice President of Student Senate.