Kagan Squire of Ohio University screams in celebration after pinning his opponent, Leighton Gaul of Northern Iowa Friday night February 6, 2015 in the Convocation Center. The Bobcats beat the Panthers in a close and competetive match up. 

NCAA Tournament Brackets Released, Romanchik Earns At-Large Bid

Redshirt junior Andrew Romanchik has earned an at-large to the NCAA Tournament as the selection committee releases brackets

The NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee released the brackets for the upcoming NCAA Tournament, which included Ohio 184-pound redshirt junior Andrew Romanchik as one of the 71 at-large bids.

The inclusion of Romanchik to the field of 330 wrestlers upped the Bobcats’ total number of qualifiers to six. He will not have a seed in the tournament.

Romanchik joins 149-pound redshirt junior No. 11 Tywan Claxton, unseeded redshirt junior Spartak Chino, 165-pound redshirt senior No. 16 Harrison Hightower, 174-pound redshirt junior No. 9 Cody Walters, and 197-pound redshirt junior No. 14 Phil Wellington.

A few Ohio wrestlers expressed their disappointment in the NCAA Tournament brackets via Twitter.

Junior KeVon Powell, who has been sidelined this season due to injury, tweeted: “The seeds at 174 (pounds) are very dumb.”

Junior Kagan Squire responded with his own jab, replying: “(I) can’t think of one weight class where they did even a mediocre job.”

This may be in response to Cody Walters earning a nine-seed despite his 30-1 record. For comparison, the two-seed, Penn State’s Matthew Brown had a 24-3 record.

The tournament begins next Thursday with the championship rounds concluding on Saturday evening.

@efelderstein14

ef684013@ohio.edu