Taylor Smith, freshman, clears the high jump during the Ohio Cherry Blossom Invitational Saturday, April 5, 2014. 

Bobcats gear up for outdoor season

The Bobcats are ready to complete the transition from indoors to outdoors at this weekend's Wake Forest Open.

The Ohio track & field team will travel to Winston-Salem, North Carolina, for the Wake Forest Open to kick off the outdoor season. The team has been on a hiatus since finishing the indoor season with a 12th place finish at the Mid Atlantic Conference Championships in Mount Pleasant, Michigan in late February.

The Bobcats, however, had virtually no time off since the indoor season concluded and have been training hard to make the transition to competing outdoors. Coach Clay Calkins said his team is “ready for the challenge” of making the transition.

“We have traditionally been a better outdoor team,” Calkins said. “I hope that holds true this season.”

Calkins also mentioned that elevating the athletes’ fitness levels as well as improving the conditions of injured team members have been a top priority.

At last year’s Wake Forest Open, the top performers included seniors Chanda Cuckler and Donyelle Brown in high jump (5.71 meters) and throws (39.17 meters), respectively, and junior Peyton Adkins in the 3,000-meter run (10:54.32).

“It would be great to see our top athletes hit MAC qualifying times and see our younger athletes step up to the challenge of their first outdoor competition,” Calkins said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="e5470ce4-c081-11e4-a7c9-a3348fabd603"}}

@TheSideline2016

ly688912@ohio.edu