President McDavis moved off campus in 2015 after bats invaded his on-campus home at 29 Park Place. (File)

'Bat Rally' gaining traction online

The Ohio University Student Union created a FaceBook event to protest McDavis' move off campus

Bats have captured the attention of Athens this week, and the Ohio University Student Union is planning on doing something about it.

OU President Roderick McDavis and his wife, Deborah, recently moved out of their traditional residence at 29 Park Place. The move was made so that the bats living in the attic of the home can be dealt with, and the problem fixed.

Students and faculty have raised concerns over the move, primarily because of the large price tag that comes with it. The new house, which the McDavises are currently staying in, is located miles off campus and would cost the university's foundation $1.2 million to purchase.

As of Friday afternoon, close to 700 people have said they are going to the “Bat Rally” to be held on Tuesday in order to protest the new house. The Facebook page where the event is being organized tells participants to “come to 29 Park Place prepared to rally with bat signs, bat clothing, bat garb, actual bats and more.”

Ryan Powers, a member of the OU Student Union is hosting the Facebook event.

“In order to have a truly democratic university, it can’t be just one group of people making the decisions,” Powers said. “It has to be everyone affected by the policy, everyone at the university needs to have a say in how it is run.”

A petition, written by members of the union, will be circulating at the event trying to raise support for alternative ways to spend the $1.2 million the OU Foundation would spend on the house.  

The union encourages faculty, staff and students to attend the rally Tuesday.

“The more people that are there, the more people’s voices will be heard,” Powers said.