Ohio University's Phil Wellington holds down University of Northern Iowa's Basil Minto. The Bobcats defeated the Panthers 20-18 at the Convocation Center in Athens, Ohio, on Friday, February 6, 2015. 

Regular season over, but MAC Tournament approaches

As the Bobcats gear up for postseason play, here is a look at how things went in the regular season and how things are panning out for the MAC Tournament. 

REGULAR SEASON WRAPPED UP

Though the Bobcats wrapped up regular season play with a win at Cleveland State, finishing with a record of 9-6 (4-4 in Mid-American Conference), the most important month of their season is just beginning. They’ll have two weeks to get ready for the MAC Tournament, which will take place on the campus of Missouri the weekend of March 7. The national tournament in St. Louis will take place the weekend of March 19. Coach Joel Greenlee said the goal for the next couple of weeks is to keep his wrestlers healthy in preparation for the tournament.

FOUR NATIONALLY RANKED WRESTLERS

Heading into the conference tournament, Ohio has four nationally ranked wrestlers (as of Monday), including 174-pound redshirt junior No. 9 Cody Walters, 149-pound redshirt junior No. 11 Tywan Claxton, 197-pound redshirt junior No. 16 Phil Wellington, and 165-pound redshirt senior No. 25 Harrison Hightower.

The success of those four wrestlers has been one of the real high points of the Bobcats’ season. They boast a combined 95-18 record, with both Walters and Wellington going undefeated in the MAC.

FRESHMEN STRUGGLES

On the flip side, the Bobcats have struggled at weight classes being held by freshmen. Due to injuries, several spots in the starting lineup have been turned over to freshman. The only freshman with an overall winning record on the season is 133-pound Josh Parrett, who is 13-9, but has only one duel win.

Parrett earned the job after an injury to junior Kagan Squire. Squire returned on Feb. 6 and recorded a crucial pin to give Ohio the win against Northern Iowa. He hasn’t wrestled since the Northern Iowa meet.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="257295fc-bafd-11e4-a5a1-9b795d48f182"}}

TOURNAMENT SUCCESSES

Ohio has wrestled in three tournaments this year, and was successful in each one. In the Michigan State Open on Nov. 2, Walters, Claxton and freshman Austin Reese earned first place in their respective weight classes, with four others finishing in the top five. About three weeks later at the Navy Classic, the Bobcats finished third overall, with Walters and Claxton each claiming their second tournament titles. Five others earned top-five finishes. The Bobcats also earned a fifth-place finish at the Reno Tournament of Champions in December, with Walters and Claxton yet again earning first-place finishes. Hightower and 157-pound redshirt junior Spartak Chino earned top-five finishes.

Of course, success in tournament play bodes nothing but good things for the two major tournaments coming up for them in the next four weeks.

A LOOK AROUND THE MAC

The biggest challenger Ohio will face is No. 2 Missouri, who just came off a victory over No. 1 Iowa. Nine of their 10 wrestlers in the starting lineup are ranked, and they went undefeated this season. They defeated Ohio earlier this year, but the Bobcats made it close, falling 25-18.

The Bobcats are in fifth place out of nine teams in the conference, but the competition is very close.

Despite the team results, the only thing that really matters in tournament play is individual success. Given the success that a handful of Ohio wrestlers have had, there are assuredly several Bobcats headed to the national tournament in St. Louis.

@efelderstein14

ef684013@ohio.edu