Shane Gilkey

OU employee dies in highway car crash

Shane Gilkey, Ohio University's assistant vice president for Research, was killed in a car accident Friday morning.

Shane Gilkey, Ohio University's assistant vice president for Research, died in a highway car accident on State Route 681 Friday morning, according to an email sent to faculty by Vice President for Research and Graduate College Dean Joseph Shields.

"Needless to say, this is a tremendous shock for our staff and will be for many of you as well," Shields said in the email. "Our hearts go out to his family for this terrible loss."

Thomas Holbert, a sergeant with the Ohio State Highway Patrol, said Gilkey was stopped and outside of his car around 8:00 a.m. when he was struck by another vehicle.

The case is still under investigation, Holbert said.

Gilkey was a coach for Athens Hockey High School league in the Athens Youth Hockey Association.

“Our association is like an extended family and Shane's professional presence, on and off the bench will be missed by the varsity team players and parents,” said Daniel J. Gates, president of the Athens Youth Hockey Association, in an emailed statement.

Players named to the Greater Columbus Club High School Hockey League All-Star game were planning to wear special helmet decals in Coach Gilkey's memory on March 1, according to the email.

OU spokesperson Katie Quaranta confirmed Gilkey's death, but could not offer further comment at this time.

—Emily Bohatch contributed to this report.

@LucasDaprile

ld311710@ohio.edu