Matthew Watts runs the 1500 meter race during the Ohio Cherry Blossom Invitational Saturday, April 5, 2014. 

Bobcats compete in Buckeye Tune-up; MAC Championships up next

The Bobcats finish the regular season and head to Michigan for the MAC Indoor Championships next week.

Ohio competed in the Buckeye Tune-Up in Columbus on Friday, it’s last meet of the season before the Mid-American Conference Indoor Championships.

The Bobcats snagged three top-10 spots in the weight throw. Senior Janiece Rose led Ohio with a 17.33-meter toss that got her second place. Senior Donyelle Brown followed close behind in fourth place with a 17.04-meter throw. Sophomore Emma Ryan rounded it out with a ninth place, 16.27-meter throw. Rose also took fifth place in shot put, throwing 13.56 meters.

Junior Tessa Weigand, who placed tenth in the mile at 5:24.51, said she and her team had a strong meet in Columbus.

“I think it was a good meet … and it was the last meet for a lot of people, so it was a good way to end the season,” Weigand said. “I’m excited (about the MAC meet) and (my goal) is to be really fresh and ready to go. Represent OU as best as I can.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="e225ab90-b56b-11e4-9785-d7a6fed21706"}}

In the jumps, sophomore Tajah Smith earned a fifth place spot in long jump 5.53 meters.

On the track, freshman Courtney Guiley ran the 200-meter dash finishing in sixth, 26.18 seconds, while junior Hayley Stegemiller took eighth in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:21.50.

Three Bobcats took on the 3,000-meter run in which sophomore Tara Tollett and juniors Maureen Dean and Kayla Scott took ninth, tenth, and eleventh place respectively (10:26.22, 10:27.07, 10:29.19).

In the 4x400 relay, the team of sophomores Amanda Sacha and Mackenzie Rankin, freshmen Kaitlyn Logan and Stegemiller finished eighth with a time of 4:04.80.

Next weekend the Bobcats will head to Mount Pleasant, Michigan, for the MAC Indoor Championships.

@TheSideline2016

ly688912@ohio.edu