Alexa Macri, senior, throws a discus during the Ohio Cherry Blossom Invitational Saturday, April 5, 2014. 

Track & Field: Bobcats start season strong going into Tom Wright Classic

The Bobcats started strong with an impressive performance at the Buckeye Classic and are now preparing for the upcoming Tom Wright Classic at Bowling Green on Dec. 23.

Ohio track and field boasted early success coming off a four-event win against Marshall last month and a fourth-place finish in the Buckeye Classic on Friday.

The Bobcats traveled to Marshall for a Dec. 4 meet when they stole the show in weight throw, placing senior Janiece Rose, sophomore Emma Ryan and freshman Jordan Porter in first, second and third, respectively.

In last year’s Buckeye Classic, the Bobcats were led by dominant performances from seniors Donyelle Brown in weight throw and Chanda Cuckler in 60-meter hurdles, long jump and shot put.

This year, the Bobcats finished in fourth place at the Classic and rounded out the top five spots in eight events, which was impressive, considering only 13 Bobcats competed.

Those events included high jump (first by sophomore Taylor Smith), long jump (third by junior Erika Armstead), triple jump (fifth by Armstead), 60-meter hurdles (fifth by junior Kristin Winkel), 60-meter dash (fourth by freshman Courtney Guiley and fifth by sophomore Anna Michael), 200-meter dash (third by Guiley and fourth by Michael), 600-meter run (third by freshman Kaitlyn Logan) and the 800-meter run (fourth by junior Hayley Stegemiller).

Coach Clay Calkins was satisfied with the team’s results so far.

“Good performances … across the board for a meet that was kind of a preseason meet,” Calkins said. “We really kick it off at the meet in Bowling Green next weekend, with the full team.”

Looking forward, the Bobcats will travel to Bowling Green on Jan. 23 for the Tom Wright Classic and will be preparing for the next week. The Bobcats will face Bowling Green, Miami, Toledo and Ball State.

Regarding his expectations for the team this season, Calkins said it is too early to make a projection.

“We’ll have to get a couple meets under our belt and see how we’re looking as we move forward in the indoor season,” he said.

@TheSideline2016

ly688912@ohio.edu