Campus Counselor

Campus Counselor: Don’t let the snow depress you. Fests and family weekends are on the horizon.

Olivia Hupp gives us a reason to be optimistic despite the depressing snow. 

If you’re anything like me, then you’re not a fan of the cold. While there is a certain charm and beauty in a peaceful snowfall, the snow on the ground serves as a constant reminder that winter is in fact still here and doesn’t have a­ny intention of leaving. The age of snow days has, for the most part, passed for college students — unless you’re a student teacher, or we have a real emergency on our hands — and the wonder that fresh powder once instilled within us has been replaced by something akin to disappointment, and maybe a small dose of despair at the possibility of falling on our walk to class.

It’s times like these when I look out at the gray sky and white ground and take out my calendar to begin finding reasons to be hopeful and start making lists of things to take my mind off the fact that we’re only about halfway to warmer temperatures.

To spread a little bit of positivity on a cold Tuesday, here are some dates to look forward to and some ideas on how to make the best of these chilly nights.

Feb. 6 to Feb. 8: Sibs Weekend

• Planning for this is likely in the works for many of you, but if not, then you still have a week and a half to invite your siblings! Because there is a large age gap between me and my siblings, I tend to invite close friends or cousins to join in on the fun. Some of my friends who are only children do this as well.

I know it’ll be cold, but get those invites out! Start looking at the scheduled events to see if there is anything you’d like to do. If nothing appeals to you, take them to Court Street for a drink or two — if they’re of age, of course.

March 1 to March 7: Spring Break

• I don’t know a single person who does not look forward to Spring Break. A lot of people are high-tailing it for somewhere a bit warmer, but not everyone can afford to travel to the beach on a budget. I’m planning for a relaxing trip to New York City with some friends.

What would you like to do with your week of freedom? Start writing some ideas down and finding ways to make them happen! It’s a great stress reliever, and it takes the edge off that pile of work sitting on your desk.

April 10 to April 12: Moms Weekend

• The greatest thing about Moms Weekend is the relief of knowing that you have to do almost zero planning. By the time the mothers begin showing up on campus, it begins to feel like a family vacation. Every minute of your weekend is already planned and you have very little say in the matter. All in all, it’s a pretty good time.

To top it all off, spring season means Fest season! So mark your calendars because this spring will be one for the books.

Olivia Hupp is a senior studying English literature and creative writing. Email her at oh994610@ohio.edu.