Maurice Ndour dunks against Miami during a Mid-American Conference Tournament game last season. 

Men's Basketball: Strong team bonds should lead to success

Fans will get their first look at Ohio on Wednesday at Bobcat Madness in The Convo.

Although fans will get their first glance at this year’s men’s basketball team Wednesday in The Convo, the Bobcats have been working since new coach Saul Phillips took the job in April.

Phillips was asked during last week’s Mid-American Conference preseason teleconference about the players’ willingness to adjust to a new coach, particularly that of Javarez “Bean” Willis, Maurice Ndour and Stevie Taylor, who will begin their senior seasons under their third collegiate coach.

“The answer’s been a resounding ‘Yes’ with those three (seniors) and the rest of the team has followed,” Phillips said.

Phillips also pointed out that he was at the helm of North Dakota State for seven years and had worked with many of the players for three years as an assistant. Meanwhile, the Bobcats were together before his arrival.

“Here, I’m the new guy,” he said. “Here walks in this guy from Fargo, North Dakota, with all kinds of ideas.”

Phillips admits that the team is still a work in progress but all the players work well together. He applauds the seniors for their leadership as well the team’s undeniable sense of togetherness.

As for expectations this season, Phillips wants his players to go out and compete and not lose the tight camaraderie they share as teammates. Due to his inexperience in the MAC, he cannot propose an estimated win-loss record, but is determined to make it a great season for the seniors.

“I know this, we’re going to make progress going forward and I know our seniors’ expectations,” Phillips said. “It’s their senior year, they want to do pretty darn well, and I’m committed to try to make their year go well.”

Another new addition to the team is Chandler Thomas, a graduate student transfer from Grambling State. Thomas says he has experienced a “smooth transition” and “couldn’t feel more ready” to play. He also emphasizes the importance of the team’s togetherness.

“All the guys, we’re like a big family, we’re brothers,” he said. “We hang out off the court, on the court, we always have a good time together.”

Ndour, who had an unique experience this summer playing for Senegal in the FIBA World Cup, whose production was slowed to back problems last season is ready to suit up for his senior year.

“I’m just trying to make my back stronger … doing everything I can do to get myself healthy and ready for the season,” Ndour said.

Starting at 6:30 p.m., Wednesday, the Bobcats will take the floor in The Convo for introductions, a scrimmage and even a dunk contest. On last week’s Green and White Review, Treg Setty, a redshirt junior forward, and Taylor said they couldn’t wait to be in front of the fans again.

They also attempted to pick a winner of the dunk contest, although they will rather watch than compete. The duo hinted freshmen Mike Laster and Ryan Taylor, sophomore Wadly Mompremier and Ndour will likely be the favorites.

“I’m going with my guy Ryan Taylor,” Stevie Taylor said. “Taylor gang all day. That’s how we do it.”

@TheSideline2016

ly688912@ohio.edu