Sports Column: NBA will feel different without Durant, George

The NBA will look different, at least for the start, of this season with Kevin Durant and Paul George out with injuries.

Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder spoke to the media Tuesday for the first time since his surgery over the weekend. Durant, who noticed a constant ache in his right foot, was diagnosed with a Jones fracture — a broken bone at the base of his little toe, on Oct. 11. He was grateful to have caught the injury early on or else it could have been much worse had he continued to play, but he is expected to miss six-to-eight weeks.

Despite the injury, Durant has stayed involved with his team, attending practices and offering guidance from the sidelines. He told ESPN he’s learning a lot while sitting out and is glad his teammates are getting more opportunities.

Many cannot help but think back to when fellow Thunder player,  Russell Westbrook, sat out most of last season with complications after knee surgery for a torn meniscus. During that time, Durant stepped up and carried the Thunder until  Westbrook’s return, subsequently earning him his first MVP award.

Durant had yet to suffer a major injury. In fact, the 6-foot-11 forward has only missed  16 games throughout his seven-year career. In regards to getting back into the game, Durant wants to take it slow and said he doesn’t want to rush back, and is blessed it happened early and not late.

In Indiana, Paul George made an appearance on the court after the Pacers’ practice Monday. Vigilant Sports released a video the same day showing George shooting 3-pointers and mid-range jumpers in the gym, and many are reassured at his progressing recovery. The 24-year old guard was medically cleared in late September to put his full weight on his right leg and engage in upper-body work. George is expected to miss an entire season, however.

On Aug. 1, George suffered a compound fracture in his right leg during a Team USA intra-squad scrimmage. While trying to guard Houston’s James Harden, George’s leg caught the base of the hoop and fractured. Those who saw it have described it as being one of the “worst and most graphic injuries” since that of Kevin Ware, a former collegiate player for Louisville who suffered the same injury in March 2013 during the first half of an Elite Eight game.

The absence of those top-notch players, who were extremely influential in the success of their respective teams, will make for an interesting season. With the league enduring major changes in team structures this off-season, such as Cleveland’s gain of LeBron James and the return of Derrick Rose in Chicago, the Durant-less Thunder and George-less Pacers will have their work cut out for them.

Lauren J. Young is a junior studying journalism and sports writer for The Post. How do you think the NBA will be without Kevin Durant and Paul George? Let her know @TheSideline2016 or ly688912@ohio.edu,