Sports Column: Confessions of a bandwagon Cavaliers fan

A casual NBA fan explains why he is devoting his NBA allegiance to the Cleveland Cavaliers

Bandwagon fans are the worst kinds of people.

As a sports fan who personally despises the likes of the New York Yankees and the Pittsburgh Steelers, there’s nothing I hate more than a bandwagon fan. Tonight, however, when the Cleveland Cavaliers take on the New York Knicks, I will become one of those people that I hate.

My hometown of Baltimore hasn’t had an NBA team in nearly 40 years so many of my friends were Washington Wizards fans. The Wizards were unappealing to me, something about their star player pulling a gun on a fellow teammate in their locker room just turned me off from being a fan. So, I lived my life as a casual NBA fan without a favorite team.

Meanwhile, throughout my journey to find an NBA team, LeBron James went on a journey of his own. He went from his hometown of Cleveland to Miami where he earned two championship rings and now has famously returned back to Cleveland.

Unfortunately for me, I am committing the cardinal sin of being a fan: following a player.

If I had to narrow it down, I’m bandwagoning the Cavaliers because of James. Not only is he simply a stand-up citizen — and essentially the face of the NBA — we also share a similar journey. James was drafted by Cleveland when I was 8, he went to Miami when I went into high school, and has now returned to the State of Ohio as I do the same.

There’s more to James when it comes to my decision to join the bandwagon. Of course, there’s Kyrie Irving, the talented young point guard who will now finally have his chance to make a run in the playoffs with James on board.

There’s also Kevin Love, who after spending his whole career in Minnesota on the outside of the playoffs, has his time to shine.

There’s Anderson Varejao, who this season will reunite with his longtime teammate.

Then, there’s Cleveland — a city that hasn’t won a championship in nearly half a century. A city that had to suffer through “The Drive” in the 1987 NFL AFC Championship game, “The Fumble” in the 1988 NFL AFC Championship game, “The Shot” in the 1989 Eastern Conference Finals, and ultimately “The Decision” in which James left Cleveland in 2010.

Of course as a Baltimore sports fan, I’m not allowed to speak with deference to Cleveland, but as I’ve spent a few months surrounded by their fans, I’ve learned their story. I’ve learned that this is a city hungry for a champion. I’ve learned that this is a city that wants to be lead to the promised land by their king.

I’ve learned that in Northeast Ohio, nothing is given. Everything is earned. You have to work for what you have.

I’m ready to accept the challenge of becoming a Cavaliers fan. I’m coming home.

Ethan Felderstein is a freshman studying journalism and a sports writer for The Post. Have you also jumped on the Cavs’ bandwagon? Let him know @efelderstein14 or ef684013@ohio.edu