Ohio's Alli Cislo and Toledo's Sydney Vinton fight for the ball in the first half of the Bobcat's home game Sunday afternoon. 

Soccer: Postseason dreams dashed

A MAC-leading five-consecutive losses will keep the Bobcats out of the MAC Tournament.

On a weekend when the Bobcats needed six points, they got none, ending their hopes of qualifying for Mid-American Conference postseason play.

A 3-0 loss Friday to Central Michigan and a 3-1 loss against Toledo Sunday culminated in another disappointing weekend, as Ohio’s losing streak reached five matches.

“I’m gutted,” coach Aaron Rodgers said. “This team had — has — the potential within them to get into the tournament. For some reason we couldn’t find a way to get it done.”

Toledo and Central Michigan have the two worst records in the MAC West. The Bobcats currently have the longest losing streak in the conference.

“You’ve got to be able to play under pressure,” Rodgers said. “You’ve got to be able to execute and transfer the training and the practice sessions into where there is pressure, and we haven’t been able to do it.”

Rodgers’ side started MAC play by splitting their first three weekends, positioning the team mid-table in the standings.

A lack of confidence up front and defensive breakdowns have plagued the Bobcats recently, leaving the team quiet with their heads down Sunday as they left Chessa Field on Senior Day. 

As the afternoon dragged on,  the players and the fans sensing the season ending shorter than previously hoped for, there was a silent atmosphere until sophomore forward Alexis Milesky scored an 86th minute penalty, adding some consolation.

Ohio has one match remaining and will host Kent State on Thursday. If the they win, it would be their fourth in MAC play, which would surpass last season’s total of three.

“If we win on Thursday, we will have bettered that total,” Rodgers said. “And for the seniors, you never want to go out on a loss. We’ve had five losses in a row, we don’t want to make it six.”

Earlier in the season, Rodgers referred to his current squad and said that the 2014 team is better than it was in 2013, when he took over as coach. Last season the team was the eighth seed in the tournament.

“[We’re better now] absolutely,” Rodgers said. “We were just more disciplined last year. We were more coachable.”

“I think this team is better talent-wise, but at this point, we have to also be more coachable and disciplined like last year was.”

Regardless of Thursday’s outcome, the same point of emphasis Rodgers focused on in August is the same one he focused on through October: scoring more goals.

Formations were adjusted and players were moved around, but Ohio still struggled to find the scoresheet. The Bobcats have produced 18 goals, while opponents have scored 32 times in 18 games.

@charliehatch_ 

gh181212@ohio.edu