Men’s golf team set to play the Firestone Invitational

A preview of the upcoming tournament for the men’s golf team.

The Bobcats will travel to Akron on Monday to compete in the two-day Firestone Invitational. The event will take place at the Firestone Country Club, which has been a regular stop on the Professional Golfers’ Association Tour and has hosted the Professional Golfers’ Association Championship three times.

Freshman Grant Engel, sophomores Peyton White and Ty Herriott, junior Brad Burgess and senior Andrew Mlynarski will represent Ohio. Junior Michael Engelman will also play the course but his score will not count towards the team as he will play as an individual.

The team will look to rebound after their last tournament, the Marshall Invitational, in which they finished 10th overall. The men also have high hopes after the women’s team finished first at their tournament last week.

“The girls won last week so it shows that it’s definitely possible,” White said. “That’d be huge for our program.”

Burgess mentioned he had some specific goals for the upcoming tournament after he finished last for the Bobcats in the previous tournament.

“Personally, I think just to get off to a good start and try and limit the mistakes, you know they’re gonna happen but if you can try and limit them to the smallest amount possible it’s a lot easier to play and easier to score,” Burgess said.

The men have a team-first mindset going into the tournament Monday.

“I think everybody is playing some good golf,” White said. “So (the goal is) definitely try to win this week if possible.”

mf056713@ohio.edu