Freshman running back A.J. Ouellette breaks away during a touchdown run in Ohio's victory last Saturday against Eastern Illinois.

Live Notebook: Ohio vs. Central Michigan

FINAL

OHIO             10

CMU              28

Top Performers

OHIO

Passing: Sprague — 7/21, 98 yds.

Rushing: Patterson — 12 att., 77 yds.

Receiving: Cochran — 2 rec., 59 yds.

CMU

Passing: Rush — 17/27, 233 yds., 2 TD

Rushing: Rawls — 40 att., 229 yds., 2 TD

Receiving: Davis — 10 rec., 181 yds., 2 TD

Final analysis

If you're Ohio, then this game isn't just a gut-wrenching one, but it's quite an embarrassment. The Bobcats all said they we're "embarrassed" after the blowout in Marshall against a Heisman dark horse candidate in Rakeem Cato, but this game showed a gigantic lack in offensive confidence. The deficit was only 18, but if it weren't for the defense it could've easily been 30.

Game leaders

Passing: Rush (CMU) — 17/27, 233 yds., 2 TD

Rushing: Rawls (CMU) — 40 att., 229 yds., 2 TD

Receiving: Davis (CMU) — 10 rec., 181 yds., 2 TD

4th Quarter

8:44: Rawls rushed for his second touchdown of the day. PAT good by Eavey. OHIO 10, CMU 28

12:40: Tim Edmond rushed up the middle for a one-yard touchdown. PAT good by Yazdani. OHIO 10, CMU 21

3rd Quarter analysis

Well, there's not much that you can say positively about this game so far. The offense has been abysmal and there hasn't been any flow throughout the game. Ohio just got their first 1st down of the day late in the third quarter and JD Sprague has completed four passes for 21 yards.

Unless the Bobcats can get something together offensively, I don't think the defense will be able to stop the Chippewas and keep up with just one quarter remaining.

3rd Quarter Leaders

Passing: Rush (CMU) — 16/26, 204 yds., 2 TD

Rushing: Rawls (CMU) — 31 att., 185 yds., TD

Receiving: Davis (CMU) — 9 rec., 152 yds., 2 TD

3rd Quarter

5:54: Ohio turned the ball over on downs in the Chippewas' redzone, after a 49-rush by Daz Patterson just a few plays prior.

7:34: After a near interception by Ohio, Thomas Rawls rushed for a 15-yard touchdown down the left sideline. PAT good by Eavey. OHIO 3, CMU 21

Halftime analysis

That was a very, very bad half. But, on the bright side, it could've been even worse. Ohio's offense looked to be in shambles for most of the half, as Sprague looked to be not just on another page as the receivers, but in another chapter. He couldn't hit his receivers downfield and on the one so called "gift-wrapped" touchdown drive the Chippewas gave to the Bobcats, they were denied on three consecutive plays and had to settle for a field goal.

The one bright spot did come at the end of the half, with Ohio's first fumble recovery of the season, which gave Ohio a little life. Down by just 11 points, the game is still far from over, but its going to take some actual offensive presence to make a run at it.

Halftime leaders

Passing: Rush (CMU) — 13/20, 173 yds., 2 TD

Rushing: Rawls (CMU) — 17 att., 99 yds.

Receiving: Davis (CMU) — 7 rec., 137 yds., 2 TD

2nd Quarter

:13: Josiah Yazdani hit a 24-yard field goal. OHIO 3, CMU 14

:33: Ohio's pass rushers forced a fumble, returned by the Bobcats, who would eventually start from the CMU 5-yard line with CMU penalty.

1st Quarter Analysis

To say Ohio's offense was bad in the opening quarter would be an understatement. JD Sprague completed one dump pass for one yard in the quarter and he looked to be struggling at completing any deep passes that come his way. He had Chase Cochran open downfield on a crossing route while he scrambled out of the pocket, but missed him by about 3-4 yards.

The defense didn't look much better, though, as they have let Cooper Rush and Titus Davis torch Ohio's secondary.

1st Quarter Leaders

Passing: Rush (CMU) — 10/12, 156 yds., 2 TD

Rushing: Rawls (CMU) — 7 att., 57 yds.

Receiving: Davis (CMU) — 5 rec., 119 yds., 2 TD

1st Quarter

5:55: Rush hit Davis on a 32-yard passing touchdown up the middle of the field on third down. PAT good by Eavey. OHIO 0, CMU 14

10:21: Cooper Rush hit Titus Davis in the front corner of the endzone on the Chippewas' opening drive. PAT good by Brian Eavey. OHIO 0, CMU 7

Roster Report

Out: QB Derrius Vick, S Nathan Carpenter, CB Ian Wells

In: RB A.J. Ouellette

Pre-game

Ohio (3-2, 1-0 MAC) came into Saturday's Mid-American Conference showdown after winning each of its past two games, both on the home turf of Peden Stadium. The Bobcats had lost each of the last two road games, against Marshall and Kentucky.

The Bobcats rank 110th out of 125 Football Subdivision Schools with a turnover differential of negative-six. They have yet to force a fumble thus far.

Starting running back A.J. Ouellette was injured at the end of the Bobcats' win last Saturday against Eastern Illinois and made the trip to CMU, but hasn't been ruled in or out yet.

The Bobcats have only won twice all-time in Mt. Pleasant, in 2001 and 2011.

Central Michigan (2-3, 0-1 MAC) had lost three straight games coming into its matchup with Ohio, including a 42-28 defeat in the Chippewas' MAC opener.

The Chippewas feature a senior transfer running back from Michigan that has rushed for 341 yards and five touchdowns on the ground, along with six catches for 61 yards. They have been out-gained 938-686 on the ground.

CMU doesn't blitz heavily, but they boast two strong defensive tackles: senior Leterrius Walton (6-foot-5, 300 lbs.) and sophomore Jabari Dean (6-foot-2, 295 lbs.).