(Left to right) Lani Smith of Akron being kept away from the ball by Gabby Hausfeld of Ohio while Sarah Sivic of Akron attempts to aid her teammate in getting to the ball. 

Bobcats want to write positive script

Aaron Rodgers has injected to the attacking style Ohio needs.

Aaron Rodgers supports Liverpool Football Club and that’s important to Ohio soccer.

While the Bobcats don’t have much in common with the English Premier League other than the sport both play, they are seemingly closer than they appear.

Rodgers and Liverpool’s manager, Brendan Rodgers, encourage their squads to play an attacking style, adding more emphasis on the play in the final third of the pitch than discipline in the back.

In his second year in Athens, Ohio’s Rodgers coaches his team to get players behind the ball and work their way forward, whether by means of a quick counter attack or a full-scale offensive, as does Liverpool.

When the tactics come to fruition, the “score more than concede” ideology has caused problems for opponents, who struggle to shrug off Ohio attacks and give up possession and sometimes goals.

Perhaps the one trait so similar to both coaches, though, is their ability to modify their squads and play to their own advantages.

Solving the goal drought

Ohio has been streaky in front of goal, either finishing chances clinically or not at all. In a two-game weekend, the Bobcats tend to score goals one night and then get shut-out on another, as was the case this past weekend.

In efforts to avoid this, Rodgers has manufactured different strategies, something that has been innovative and more beneficial than not.

Earlier this season, Rodgers featured redshirt sophomore Carly Manso up front as Ohio’s main forward. When the goals weren’t flowing, he modified his lineup, switching to two strikers with Manso playing alongside sophomore Alexis Milesky.

Following the 3-1 win against Akron on Friday, Manso said playing with a partner relieves the pressure of the solo role and has allowed her to play with more confidence.

With two players up front, it’s allowed both forwards to control the ball and get more players up the pitch to assist on attacks, including the outside defenders who frequently make runs up the flanks and add to the momentum.

The new youth movement

Rodgers has brought in a lot of forward-thinking players to mold into his system, perfectly fitting into the role the coach has established.

Defender Celeste Fushimi-Karns has been the most featured freshman, utilized for her ability to join attacks forward and use her long throws as an additional set piece.

Rodgers calls upon freshman Hannah Jaggers and Kelly Zebrowski to inject pace into Ohio attacks and sneak behind the slower center back of opposing sides.

In the midfield, freshman Allie Curry has been a dynamic player on the right, who loves to cut in and join attacks further up the pitch, attempting shots on goal.

Writing their own book

Rodgers said that Mid-American Conference play has been a new chapter for the Ohio program and he believes he’s pieced together a side that can put together a run in conference play.

The future is unwritten for this chapter of the book, but Rodgers has found the players that can script an impressive push toward their coveted conference title.

But first, they’ll need to score. 

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohiou.edu