Rufus leads the Bobcats onto the field Saturday. 

Live Notebook: Ohio vs. Eastern Illinois

FINAL

EIU               19

OHIO           34

Top Performers

EIU

Passing: Whitlow — 30/46, 289 yds., TD

Rushing: Whitlow — 15 att., 112 yds., TD

Receiving: Drake — 5 rec., 81 yds.

OHIO

Passing: Sprague — 15/28, 143 yds., 2 INT

Rushing: Ouellette — 11 att., 87 yds., 2 TD

Receiving: L. Smith — 5 rec., 53 yds.

Final Analysis

This was the perfect clock-killing quarter for Ohio. Up 34-10 coming into the 4th, the Bobcats just needed to wind down the clock to come out with a victory. That's why they put Greg Windham in at quarterback and he handled his scenario perfectly.

Moving forward, JD Sprague and his receivers will be looking at getting on the same page, because there were numerous times that a WR was open downfield and the ball was overthrown. Film will help with this, but Sprague can't be too upset, especially with his two touchdowns and numerous scrambles on the ground.

Game Leaders

Passing: Whitlow (EIU) — 30/46, 289 yds., TD

Rushing: Ouellette (OHIO) — 11 att., 87 yds., 2 TD

Receiving: Drake (EIU) — 5 rec., 81 yds.

4th Quarter

1:27: Nick Bruno kicked a 24-yard field goal. EIU 19, OHIO 34

11:37: Jalen Whitlow completed a 6-yard pass to Anthony Taylor for a touchdown. Two-point conversion NO GOOD. EIU 16, OHIO 34

Update (4:41 p.m.): Greg Windham has been put in at QB for Ohio.

3rd Quarter Analysis

This quarter was led by inconsistency on offense. JD Sprague looked great rushing the ball and scrambling away from sacks, but his throws continued to be too long and inaccurate when receivers were open downfield or in the endzone. His flash of brilliance came on his second rushing touchdown of the game, when he eluded a three-man sack and juked about four defensive players before finding the open field and the endzone. 

Leaders after three quarters

Passing: Whitlow (EIU) — 17/28, 171 yds.

Receiving: Drake (EIU) — 3 rec., 52 yds.

3rd Quarter

3:59: JD Sprague was picked off for the second time of the game. Eastern Illinois started with the ball on its own 7-yard line.

7:28: JD Sprague rushed for an 8-yard touchdown, making something out of what looked to be a sack before he scrambled and juked his way into the open field. PAT GOOD by Josiah Yazdani. EIU 10, OHIO 34

13:24: Josiah Yazdani hit his second field goal of the day, this time from 46 yards. EIU 10, OHIO 27

Update (3:47 p.m.): Ian Wells was ruled out of the remainder of the game.

2nd Quarter Analysis

This quarter started out as perfect as it could for Ohio when A.J. Ouellette ran a 65-yarder into the endzone and put the Bobcats up by three scores. JD Sprague's lone mistake of the game so far happened when he stared down TE Troy Mangen and the Eastern Illinois safety read it the entire way and picked off the pass. EIU marched down 47 yards and scored their lone touchdown of the game so far on that drive. 

The takeaways from the quarter do again come from the offense and if they can sustain what they've already started. Sprague needs to continue to stay focused and confident in the pocket and continue to use his legs. He has found his way into making something from nothing on a few of his runs so far. The defense looked a little worn down following EIU's touchdown, but besides that they looked very good.

Halftime leaders

Passing: Sprague (OHIO) — 13/19, 125 yds., INT

Rushing: Ouellette (OHIO) — 10 att., 85 yds., 2 TD

Receiving: L. Smith (OHIO) — 5 rec., 53 yds.

2nd Quarter

:13: Josiah Yazdani made a 20-yard field goal. EIU 10, OHIO 24

1:09: Grant Cunningham blocked a punt and Ohio took over at the Eastern Illinois 35-yard line.

8:05: Jalen Whitlow rushed for a 1-yard touchdown up the middle on 3rd-and-goal. PAT GOOD by Nick Bruno. EIU 10, OHIO 21

10:38: JD Sprague had his pass intercepted by Bradley Dewberry. EIU started the Ohio 47-yard line.

14:37: A.J. Ouellette rushed for a 65-yard touchdown, breaking off a last-minute diving tackle attempt near the endzone. PAT GOOD by Josiah Yazdani. EIU 3, OHIO 21

1st Quarter Analysis

In his first career start, JD Sprague looks calm, cool and collected. He's used both his arm and his legs to keep Eastern Illinois' defense on their toes. His rushing touchdown capped off a drive which saw him make quick decisions, including two straight screen passes to Landon Smith. 

The Bobcats defense started off a little shaky, allowing two big plays to start the game, but since then they have been in shut-down mode, allowing just 58 yards through the air.

1st Quarter Leaders

Passing: Sprague (OHIO) — 7/8, 94 yds.

Rushing: Sprague (OHIO) — 3 att., 17 yds., TD

Receiving: L. Smith (OHIO) — 4 rec., 51 yds.

1st Quarter

3:40: JD Sprague rushed for a 6-yard touchdown on the QB keeper. PAT GOOD by Josiah Yazdani. EIU 3, OHIO 14

8:56: A.J. Ouellette rushes up the middle for a 1-yard rushing touchdown. PAT GOOD by Josiah Yazdani. EIU 3, OHIO 7

12:39: Nick Bruno kicked an 18-yard field goal on the game's 7 play, 65 yard opening drive. EIU 3, OHIO 0

Roster Report

Out: QB Derrius Vick, S Nathan Carpenter, OL Mike McQueen, WR Brendan Cope

In: WR Landon Smith

Pre-game

Ohio (2-2) came into Saturday after winning its first game since the season opener at Kent State, as the Bobcats defeated Idaho 36-24 in their home opener. Quarterback Derrius Vick went down with a knee injury in the second quarter last weekend, which gave JD Sprague his first career start Saturday.

Eastern Illinois (1-3) came into the matchup in Athens after claiming its first victory of the season, where the Panthers toppled over Austin Peay 63-7.

After the departure of Jimmy Garappollo to the NFL, Eastern Illinois had used two different quarterbacks this season, who have each throw for over 500 yards and at least two touchdowns.