Bobcat Quarterback Derrius Vick attempts to dodge a tackle by his Idaho defender in their Saturday night game in Peden Stadium. The Bobcats came out victorious in their season home opener. (ARIELLE BERGER | PHOTO EDITOR)

Football: With Vick out due to injury, Ohio’s offense is up to a test of depth

Despite entering the year with a new offensive unit, the Bobcats’ offense has flip-flopped more than it should have.

Between a starting quarterback getting hurt and running backs fumbling, depth has proved more crucial than ever before for Ohio.

The Quarterback Dilemma

With starting quarterback Derrius Vick out on a week-to-week basis with an knee injury, JD Sprague will be the starter against Eastern Illinois.

Coach Frank Solich said Sprague is ready to execute the offense after leading Ohio during the final two-plus quarters of Saturday’s win against Idaho.

“They’re both mobile quarterbacks; they both can throw well,” Solich said. “They are both guys that study the game, so we’ve got a lot of confidence in both those guys, and the good thing is we don’t have to devise an offense around JD.”

Sprague, a redshirt sophomore, has seen time in three games, throwing for 344 yards and one touchdown by completing 25 of 46 attempts. He’s also net 56 yards and had a touchdown on the ground.

However, Vick’s injury will result in a lack of depth at the quarterback position. Redshirt sophomore Greg Windham will become the backup and freshman Joey Duckworth will see his snaps increase in practice.

Solich said they don’t have a specific plan for playing Windham like they did when Sprague was backing up Vick.

“(Windham will) get a lot more reps (in practice),” Solich said. “I think the fact that, because he has very, very limited experience, there’s not a plan  to put him in necessarily, but we’re hoping it fits to where he can start gaining some experience.

“He does have talent and, if he can get experience, we think he can develop into a fine, young quarterback.”

Running Back Depth

Holding onto the ball has been an issue since the running backs fumbled on four straight possessions in the season opener against Kent State.

After Daz Patterson, a junior, fumbled again during Ohio’s second play on scrimmage Saturday, Solich went with a “next man up” mentality and freshman A.J. Oullette took over. He rushed for 135 yards and two touchdowns on 27 attempts and caught two passes for 39 yards.

Solich said changes haven’t been made yet because there are many things to take into account with what he calls “the best group of running backs” in his time at Ohio.

“Daz has done some great things for us and you don’t just toss him aside … he just needs to take better care of the football, and no one feels worse than he does about it, but you don’t throw a guy away because of where he’s at right now,” Solich said. “AJ has certainly earned the right to get more reps.”

Tim Edmond, a senior captain, came into the year not knowing his role, but some thought that he would be used regularly with his “ground and pound” type of physical running style.

Edmond rushed just once Saturday, gaining 13 yards and a first down on a touchdown-scoring drive during the fourth quarter. He knocked off a defender’s helmet in the process.

“It’s a matter of guys — with whatever role they’re asked to play — they’ve got to do the best they can,” Solich said. “They’ve got to stay energized. They’ve got to keep teammates going.”

@Alex_Busch91

ab109410@ohio.edu