College football looking forward to the rest of the season

With just three wins from the MAC in week two, programs are preparing for a better week three.

Another week of college football is history and for the Mid-American Conference, it was a difficult one.

The conference went a combined 3-9.

The Miami Redhawks were downed 17-10 against Eastern Kentucky Saturday in what seemed like a potential win. The Redhawks committed too many errors offensively, to stay in the game.

Miami will go back to the drawing board after a game where many lessons are to be learned.

“The second half we played alright,” coach Chuck Martin said. “It’s tough to win after committing so many critical errors and throwing a pick-six near the end of the ball game.”

Miami preps this week for Michigan at the Big House, which is a huge challenge to say the least.

“They always play hard,” Martin said. “Going on the road, at Michigan, walking out to 100,000 people when our kids don’t usually see a stadium packed that much.”

Kent State came up short against South Alabama Saturday losing 23-13.

They will visit No. 22 Ohio State Saturday at the Horseshoe, something every coach knows is a difficult task.

“There are a lot of things we have to get better at in one week in preparation for Ohio State,” coach Paul Haynes said.

After a tough loss to Virginia Tech, the Buckeyes will be looking to bounce back and come out firing.

“The key for us is our first four, five, series of the game. We have to play sound, solid ball the entire game,” Haynes said. “They’ve got talent all around the ball, but we’re looking forward to playing in The Shoe with a prepared team.”

Buffalo lost to Army Saturday 47-39 in a long, hard-fought battle.

“It was simply an incredible comeback — if you want to call it that — that fell short,” coach Jeff Quinn said. “We played slow in the first two quarters but offensively saw a lot of productivity in the second half.”

Buffalo quarterback Joe Licata set an FBS-era program record, as he threw five touchdowns in the loss. The Bulls threw the ball more than 50 times and didn’t give up one sack, which is a credit to their offensive line.

Buffalo takes on defending Big 12 champs No. 8 Baylor on Saturday.

“Saturday we have the opportunity to play the defending Big 12 champs in our house,” Quinn said. “They run a very fast, high-tempo offense with great speed. Their defense has improved tremendously so we have to be sound in every aspect of our gameplan and get a good jump right out of the gate.”

On a positive note for the MAC, Bowling Green bounced back from its week one defeat and dominated Virginia Military Institute 48-7.

“It’s very important that the Western Kentucky loss didn’t hurt us too much,” coach Dino Babers said. “Our team rebounded very well as a unit.”

Bowling Green hosts Indiana this weekend.

“No doubt their offense will be sharp with similar schemes and a fast quick quarterback,” Babers said. “We’re playing the Big 10, but we feel every ounce ready for this matchup.”