Ohio University forward sophomore Alexis Milesky, right, heads the ball. The Bobcats defeated the Colonels 2-0 at Chessa Field on Sunday, Sept. 7. 

Bobcats soccer set to host Detroit on Friday

Coach Aaron Rodgers' attacking style hasn’t led to goals yet, but the Bobcats hope for progress when they host Detroit on Friday.

Ohio’s problem hasn’t been playing the ball into the final third and putting in crosses.

Instead, it’s been finishing.

Recently, the Bobcats have been successful building up attacks, getting players forward and pestering the opposition’s backline with never-ending pressure.

But once the final pass gets into the area, the chance goes begging as the Bobcats fail to capitalize on the opportunity and field position.

That’s why it comes across as no surprise when coach Aaron Rodgers says he wants his team to create a new identity in front of goal, converting chances and becoming an offensive juggernaut.

This past weekend’s results are the perfect explanation of Rodgers frustration.

In a 3-2 double overtime loss to Xavier, the Bobcats took 17 shots and won 16 corners. Two days later against Eastern Kentucky, the home side took 23 shots and produced seven corners.

Ohio finished the weekend with 40 shots and 23 corners; yet they only mustered four goals.

“We’ve got to be the ones to be more aggressive and wins 50/50 balls, win tackles and control play,” Rodgers said. “I want to finish chances. We can defend well and keep shutouts, but we still need to convert chances.”

So as Ohio hosts Detroit on Friday afternoon, scoring goals will be the team’s priority.

Entering the match Friday, the Titans have struggled, bolstering a 1-3-1 record, and haven’t scored in their last three matches.

Coming off of a shutout victory, this is the perfect time for the Bobcats to keep the momentum rolling, as sophomore forward Alexis Milesky believes that 2-0 result against Eastern will propel the offense moving forward.

“Scoring is just a team thing and it’s great for our team to get goals and win.” Milesky said. “We finally got our defense connected to our offense to our mindset.”

That connection will be crucial for Ohio, as an unforced turnover or miscommunication between the players has led to the last five goals Ohio has conceded.

Rodgers has said previously he knows his team will give up goals; it’s just about the manner his team allows them to go in.

If Ohio can complete the chances it produces while preserving a tight line defensively, the Bobcats will finally play the style Rodgers expects and produce the goals the squad is capable of producing.

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohiou.edu