Hockey: Ohio prepares to begin ACHA Tournament play

It's national tournament time for the Bobcat hockey team.

No. 7 Ohio will face off against rival No. 10 Iowa State in the second round of the American Collegiate Hockey Association National Tournament on Saturday at 4 p.m. Despite already defeating the Cyclones this times this season, four of the teams’ five matchups were decided by one goal.

Because of the close games Ohio (30-7-3) has built a steady rivalry with Iowa State. Plus, the Bobcats ended the Cyclones’ season in last year’s ACHA Tournament.

“Going into Saturday’s game, we know it’s going to be a battle,” freshman forward Patrick Spellacy said. “They’re a tough team with a good goaltender. We just have to stick to our systems and play Ohio hockey and I think we’ll be just fine.”

The Cyclones (35-9-4) boast one of the ACHA’s best goaltenders in junior Matt Cooper, who has records six shutouts and posted a .927 save percentage. Meanwhile, Ohio freshman Aaron Alkema finished fifth in the ACHA in goals-against average at 1.85 per game.

“When you meet a team like this, you just prepare like all the other ones,” Sheridan said. “The game can go either way, and it will come down to who has put in the work and effort before Saturday.”

In addition to the upcoming tournament, first-year coach Jonathon Sheridan and Spellacy made news this past week individually.

Sheridan was named the Central States College Hockey League coach of the year. He credited his assistants Jameson Raymond and Michael Callan, as well as former coach Dan Morris.

“I think (the award) also speaks very highly of the guys’ character on the team,” Sheridan said. “To have a new coach come in is hard, but how they transitioned and bought into everything was amazing. They made it easy for me in my first year. I owe them big thanks for that.”

One of those players was Spellacy, who was named the CSCHL rookie of the year. He led the team in goals scored this seaon with 22, while assisting another 21 Bobcats scores.

“(Receiving the honors) just speaks volumes about the coaching staff that has helped me and the players who have, in a way, taken me under their wing -- especially (senior Brett Agnew),” Spellacy said. “But it’s nice to get recognized for the hard work you put in during the season.”

Individual milestones aside, Spellacy knows how important Saturday’s game and any subsequent ones will be as the team begins its ACHA Tournament run.

“Bringing the cup back to Athens would mean the world to this program,” Spellacy said. “Being only a freshman I’ve learned the tradition that Ohio hockey has. It’s one like no other.”

“So bringing a championship back to Ohio U. would only be right. And we’re gonna do everything we can to do it.”

@kelsey_surmacz4

ks363012@ohiou.edu