Ohio players chase the puck against Illinois at Bird Arena. Ohio lost 4-3 on Jan. 26. (Calvin Mattheis | File Photo)

Hockey: Ohio ends season with tournament loss

Not only can one game change a season, but it can also end it.

That is what happened to Ohio on Saturday, as No. 10 Iowa State defeated the No. 7 Bobcats 3-1 in the second round of the American Collegiate Hockey Association national tournament.

With the loss, Ohio ends the 2013-14 campaign with a final record of 30-8-2.

After freshman forward Matt Hartman scored just 3:39 into the opening frame, the Bobcats allowed three unanswered goals on their way to making an early exit in the national tournament .

“I thought we played well in the first period. After (Iowa State) scored their late goal, I think we became a little deflated,” coach Jonathon Sheridan said. “They did a good job of making us play their style of game. We aren’t very good at playing someone else’s style and it hurt us. They are a good team and we have to give them credit for their performance.”

The Cyclones (36-10-4) scored their first goal with 1:35 remaining in the first period when senior forward Chris Cucullu’s shot made it past Bobcats goalie Aaron Alkema. Iowa State senior defenseman Matt Bennett then cashed in the go-ahead goal midway through the second period, before senior forward Jon Feavel netted an insurance goal in the third period.

The game’s standout performer was Iowa State goaltender Matt Cooper, a junior who turned aside 42 of 43 Ohio’s shots and made several impressive stops throughout the game.

“Cooper made some huge saves to slam the door on us,” Sheridan said. “He also has a lot of help from his teammates. There were a couple pucks that got by him that his (defense) saved from going in the back of the net.”

Iowa State took revenge on Ohio, which defeated the Cyclones 3-2 in the Central States College Hockey League Tournament two weeks ago.

Although the season may be over for Ohio, Sheridan is proud of how his team performed this season in spite of unfamiliar circumstances.

“I’m very proud of our team,” he said. “It is always hard to come into a season with a new coach. There are a lot of unknowns. I thought they handled the adversity extremely well and stepped up to the task at hand.”

Saturday also marked the final career game for seniors Duncan Green, Brett Agnew and Jonathan Gulch.

“I couldn’t thank Duncan, Brett and Jonathan enough for all the help throughout the season and what they have done to help the program in their four years. They deserved a better outcome than what I gave them.”

@kelsey_surmacz4

ks363012@ohiou.edu