Women's Golf: Bobcats feel out kinks in first match of season

There may be snow on the ground in Athens, but that won’t stop the Bobcats from starting their season on stable footing.

In the comforts of Lakewood Ranch, Fla., Ohio began its spring season amassing losses in the first two rounds to Bradley and Northern Illinois, 4-1.

“I think we started a little rough on the first day,” coach Kelly Ovington said. “I think as the day went on we started gaining confidence and in the second day we played better.”

Six Bobcats were chosen to attempt the challenge, as senior Kristen Helmsdoerfer finished with the best score for Ohio.

“It’s a match play event where it’s not based on stroke average,” Ovington said. “It’s a head to head match-up where my five will play another team’s five and the person who puts better gets the point.”

Mid-American Conference opponents also were in attendance, as Ohio got to feel out third-ranked Akron and second-ranked Bowling Green at the par-72 King’s Dune course.

It was the first time back in action for Ohio, as sophomore and second-ranked Angela Codian and the team had to practice indoors along with softball and other teams.

“We’re fortunate enough to get outside and play on our first two days back in Athens,” Ovington said. “But then we moved indoor and got to use the putting green towards the back of the facility, so we were fortunate enough to practice and work over the off-season.”

Ovington and the team are looking to improve this spring season after the Bobcat’s placed eighth out of 13 teams in the Rocket Classic, held on Oct. 14 and 15.

“Our ultimate goal is to stay competitive,” Ovington stated. “Just be competitive in any event, we don’t even have to be even-par, just staying within the 70s ... The girls really want to break the stroke average.”

Earlier in the year, Ovington mentioned wanting the ladies to improve on their short game, saying, “short game is our main focus this offseason.”

Next up, the team will travel to Arizona for the Rio Verde Collegiate Invitational on Mar. 7.

@Lukeoroark

lr514812@ohiou.edu