Ohio’s Brett Agnew, Patrick Spellacy, and Duncan Green celebrate their first goal of the game by Nick Hudeck, not pictured. Ohio defeated Pittsburgh 5-0 on Saturday. (Conor Ralph | Photo Editor)

Hockey: Ohio sweeps Pittsburgh to end season

Ohio played its final series of the season this past weekend and the performances and corresponding senior weekend activities did not disappoint.

No. 7 Ohio (29-7-2) routed Pittsburgh in both games, which served as warm wishes to exiting seniors Brett Agnew, Jonathan Gulch and Duncan Green in their final games at Bird Arena.

“Gulch, (Green) and I have become really good friends over the last four years,” Agnew said. “They are great hockey players and even better people, and I couldn’t be graduating with better guys.”

Agnew finished his final Ohio regular season with 53 points, which leads the team. The forward ended his Bobcats career with 181 points, and defensemen Gulch and Green closed out their careers with almost 100 points combined.

“Those three guys, they’ve done a lot for the program,” Ohio coach Jonathon Sheridan said. “We have a very rich history, and they bought into that a lot and kept it going.”

And all three players kept the history going against Pittsburgh.

The 8-1 rout in game one on Friday was boosted by Agnew, who recorded the team’s third goal, and Gulch, who contributed two assists. Agnew also added three assists and Green scored a goal in game two, which the Bobcats won 5-0.

In addition to the seniors’ performances, freshman center Joe Breslin also recorded his first career hat trick Friday. The team forgot to save the puck for him, and it ended up getting stuck in the rafters during gameplay. Sheridan is working to get Bird maintenance to retrieve it.

“Yeah, we’ll work on that this week for sure,” Sheridan said with a laugh.

Ohio dominated all aspects during the games, especially in the shot department.

During the two games, the Bobcats registered an astounding 116 shots on goal, including 75 attempts in game two, which forced Panthers senior goalie Rob Behling to play strong by allowing 11 percent of attempts to reach the goal. In contrast, Pittsburgh attempted just 33 shots.

The Bobcats’ final ranking has yet to be determined, but the team is already preparing for the Central States Collegiate Hockey League Tournament this weekend.

“It think this year’s been great,” Agnew said. “There’s been a lot of ups and downs, which you will have in a season, but we’ve learned a lot from our mistakes and we’re hitting our stride at the perfect time going into the league championship. Everyone should be 100 percent healthy going into next weekend and we will be ready to go.”

Although this season might mark the end for Agnew and his fellow seniors, he will never forget the four years spent in Athens.

“Our year isn’t over and our biggest test has yet to come,” he said.

@kelsey_surmacz4

ks363012@ohiou.edu

Fast Facts

FRIDAY

Ohio 8 Pittsburgh 1

SATURDAY

Ohio 5 Pittsburgh 0

The games were the last regular season action for Ohio seniors Brett Agnew, Jonathan Gulch and Athens native Duncan Green

Freshman forward Joe Breslin recorded first career hat trick Friday

This article appeared in print under the headline "Ohio ends season with Pitt sweep."