Sports Column: Why do we bother with All-star games?

Anyone who is knowledgeable about professional sports knows that all-star games are not nearly as fun to watch as normal games, despite the fact that the best players in the world are playing one another.

Despite teams full of superior athletic talent, these all-star games are not representative of a regulation game. They are not competitive and, quite frankly, boring for fans to watch.

The Pro Bowl operates under a different set of rules than traditional NFL games, as it prevents defenses from blitzing, only allows 4-3 defenses, and features no kickoffs or challenges. These are just a few of the numerous game play changes in effect during the Pro Bowl.

In addition to the rule changes, any player participating in next week’s Super Bowl was not allowed to play in the Pro Bowl on Sunday to ensure they remained healthy. Instead, the game allowed alternates who would not have otherwise had the opportunity to participate.

In the NHL All-Star Game, defense is almost nonexistent, as the game has an unspoken rule that players do not check the opposition in attempts to prevent injury. The extreme physicality that the sport of hockey is known for isn’t apparent in the contest. As a result, it is relatively commonplace to see double-digit final scores, which is almost unheard of during the season.

We see similar patterns in the NBA All-Star Game, where defense is at a minimum, which allows scoring and flashy dunks galore, as scores for each team traditionally surpass 120 points.

The only all-star games that are fun to watch are those played in college football; they possess effort, which is something all the other games I have mentioned don’t have.

In the Senior Bowl, all of the athletes are playing their hardest and giving maximum effort to impress professional scouts, as they are using the game as one final audition to make it to the next level and play in the NFL.

Sporting events where only the best in the world are playing one another have enormous potential to be something great. These professional leagues need to find a way to attach meaning to their all-star games.

If these games have significance, players will want to win, they will play harder and the games could lead up to their potential instead of falling immensely short.

Christopher Miller is a sophomore majoring in broadcast journalism and sports management. Do you also dislike professional sports all-star games? Let him know at cm001111@ohiou.edu or @MLLRC93.