Hockey: Ohio prepares for key matchup

After managing just a series split against Illinois last weekend, the Ohio hockey team is looking to bounce back.

After dropping four spots in the ACHA rankings this week, No. 8 Ohio is set to face No. 2 Robert Morris Friday and Saturday in one of the most important series the team will face

all season.

Coach Jonathon Sheridan knows the Eagles will be no easy task, but it is important that his team prepares just the way it would for any other series.

“They are a very good team and even better at home. They have yet to lose a home game this season,” Sheridan said. “As any game, we prepare like it’s a championship weekend. Your preparation shouldn’t change to a team you will be facing. Sure, there will be little twists and quirks in systems or special teams. But you always prepare for the weekend like it’s the most important one of

the season.”

The Bobcats are coming off a disappointing weekend, as the team could have almost lost control of both games against the Illini. Ohio scored a game-winning goal in the first contest and were edged 4-3 in game two, though Illinois looked poised enough in both games to

defeat Ohio.

Turnovers, penalties and frustration defined last weekend for the Bobcats, but Sheridan does not think the memory of a poorly played series will haunt his team against the Eagles.

“We have just reiterated the importance of staying focused,” he said. “You worry about what you can control, and basically all (the team) can control is how they play. …We had a rough weekend, but one weekend doesn’t make who your team is. I’m confident they will respond positively and we will get back on track.”

A player to watch for Ohio this weekend could be sophomore forward Logan Pfeffer, who registered three points against Illinois. Sheridan says he has been a valuable asset to the team as far as versatility and he has been contributing nicely.

“Pfeffer is a hard-working kid that is willing to do whatever it takes for the team,” said Sheridan. “He has a flexible role and is comfortable filling either way it goes.”

Sophomore forward Chris Pontello has led Robert Morris as of late, as he scored three goals and recorded four points against Indiana last weekend. The team is also boasting a nine-game win streak and has won 12 of its last 13 games.

@kelsey_surmacz

ks363012@ohiou.edu