Ohio libero Meredith Ashy (wearing green) celebrates with her teammates during the Bobcats' Mid-American Conference tournament semifinal match. Ohio swept Northern Illinois in straight sets on Saturday. (Alex Busch | For The Post)

Volleyball: Bobcats advance to MAC Tournament finale

For the second consecutive year, Ohio held a 2-0 lead against Northern Illinois during the semifinals of the Mid-American Conference Tournament, but as opposed to last season’s loss, the Bobcats finished Saturday with a victory.

Ohio (26-4) swept its fourth consecutive match Saturday and has yet to drop a set in this year’s MAC Tournament, as the Bobcats will play for the title on Sunday.

“There was one game between us and the finals, and I didn’t care when that game came – we were going to get it,” coach Ryan Theis said. “(Northern Illinois) plays really hard and when it’s for something important to them they play even harder.”

The Bobcats and Huskies played three close matches with scores of 25-22, 25-22 and 25-23, respectively. After being trailing 8-3 early in the final set, Ohio put together an 8-1 run to get back in the match, before then clinching.

On the back line, sophomore libero Meredith Ashy notched 18 digs, while freshman defensive specialist Brooke Coleman recorded 12 digs.

Theis credited the point swings during Saturday’s match to the success of the Bobcats’ serving game.

“Brooke Coleman’s serve runs made a huge difference every single time. She went back there and got a three or four point run just about every game,” Theis said. “When she’s serving that well it gets us points, she was an unsung hero that made the difference.”

During the third set there were a few calls that could’ve gone either way, but Ohio remained focused and won the closest set that it has played this weekend.

“It’s just about moving on and trusting ourselves that we can put the ball away,” sophomore setter Abby Gilleland said. “When it’s an intense game it takes a lot to not let it get to you. As a team we needed to calm each other down and make up for it.”

Gilleland notched a match-high 34 assists and five kills against the Huskies, while sophomore middle blocker Karin Bull and freshman outside hitter Katie Horton each registered 10 kills in the win.

Graduate student middle blocker Alexis Pinson led Ohio with two of the team’s three blocks, while junior outside hitter Kelly Lamberti added eight kills and eight digs.

Top-seeded Ohio will play in the MAC Championship game next and will face the winner of No. 6 Western Michigan and No. 7 Eastern Michigan.

This is the first time that the Bobcats have advanced past the semifinals since 2010, when the Bobcats won their most recent MAC Championship.

“These two matches are over with, so we need to move forward and prepare for our match tomorrow,” sophomore libero Meredith Ashy said. “(Opening with two sweeps) gives us more time to think about the next match and we’ll prepare for them tomorrow morning.”

Ab109410@ohiou.edu

@Alex_Busch91