Brook Coleman, a freshman studying sports management and marketing, began playing as a setter and libero for the Bobcats after a decorated high school career (Seth Archer | For The Post)

Volleyball: Coleman recruited as specialist

Brooke Coleman is one of six new additions to the Bobcats roster this season, and her presence has been felt on the defensive side of the court, as coach Ryan Theis recruited her as a specialist.

Two-thirds through her first campaign as a Bobcat, she has appeared in each of Ohio’s 20 matches and ranked fifth on the team with an average of 2.01 digs per set, despite having just started six matches.

Coleman’s lack of playing time is due to her position on the depth chart, as she is behind reigning Mid-American Conference freshman of the year Meredith Ashy and Abby Gilleland.

“I think (playing behind them is) awesome – they’re both incredible, and they always play well,” Coleman said. “They’re really good leaders on and off the court. They just help me off the court and on the court be comfortable and get used to playing with this team.”

Gilleland and Ashy, who are sophomores, are rarely off the court during action, but the more help the duo receives on the back row of the floor, the better they can focus on making offensive plays.

“I think it helps that we play the same defensive spot,” Gilleland said. “When things are changing in the game we can keep a cycle going. She brings a lot of energy, and it’s good to have her out there.”

Theis echoed the setter by saying that Brooke has been doing a great job playing in the back row, and she has a really nice serve.

“We’re really happy with what she’s doing here, it seems to be a really good role for her,” Theis said. “(Right-back defense) is really the kind of role we recruited her for. We thought we needed someone to back up Abby, and we thought she could potentially play right-back defense.”

Coleman and Ashy are consistent performers in the back row, as they match each other’s energy, which leads to better communication on the court.

“I think it’s really effective having a setter come back and play right back defense, I don’t think you really see that too often” Ashy said. “She’s been really experienced with that, it’s really cool that she can set too – I think that really helps us out.”

The freshman from Plano, Texas saw action in high school as a setter, outside hitter and defensive specialist, but planned on being recruited strictly as a setter, until an opportunity came to her from the Bobcats.

“(Ohio’s) setter left, and they needed a DS setter, so since (Theis) is really good friends with my club coach, they just talked and he came to see me,” Coleman said. “He asked me to come for a visit, and I committed (to Ohio) right after, because I loved this school.”

It isn’t abnormal for an Ohio volleyball player to come from out-of-state, but Coleman has roots to Ohio that don’t surround the game of volleyball.

Coleman said she is the youngest child of five and all of her siblings played sports in some capacity.

Her brother, Blake, plays hockey for Miami and guided Brooke towards Ohio. He was drafted in the third round of the 2011 National Hockey League Entry Draft by the New Jersey Devils, which will allow him to join the professional program after completing his collegiate play.

“I look up to (Blake) because of what he’s done,” Coleman said. “He’s an inspiration to me for sure, so I work hard every day to just play as hard as he does.”

PLAYER PROFILE:

Brooke Coleman

Year: Freshman

Position: Setter/Defensive Specialist

Hometown: Plano, Texas

Height: 5’8’’

ab109410@ohiou.edu

@AlexBusch91