Hockey: Winning streak over for Ohio

Although No. 12 Ohio extended its winning streak to six games against No. 5 Iowa State Friday, the team would see its streak come to an end the following night after a rough first period.

The Bobcats (8-3-1, 24 points) edged out a tight 1-0 victory over the Cyclones (11-2-1, 29.5 points) on Friday with junior forward Tom Whetsel notching the game-winning goal midway through the second period.

“Anytime you score it’s a great feeling,” Whetsel said. “It was early in the game, we wanted to score more but obviously we were thinking defense first. It always feels good to get the game-winning goal though.”

Sophomore goalie Aaron Alkema stopped each of the 19 shots he faced as he pitched another shutout in net.

However, Alkema’s luck ran dry at the onset of Saturday’s game. He gave up three goals on the first nine shots he faced before he was pulled halfway through the second.

The Bobcats were trailing 3-0 at the end of one period, but after senior forward Brett Agnew scored a penalty shot goal early in the second, the team found new hope.

The Cyclones scored again early in the third, but Agnew and junior defenseman Tyler Benson scored late in the third to bring the Bobcats within one goal. However, the clock ran out on the team’s comeback attempt and it lost 4-3.

“Obviously, they’re a good team,” Whetsel said. “They’re ranked No. 5 for a reason. I definitely think we’re a better team. I think it showed in our first game and the latter stages of the second game. No excuses, they put up four goals on us, but I think they’re a great team and I’m looking forward to playing them again.”

In relief of Alkema, freshman goalie Ryan Heltion stopped 27-of-28 shots against, further illustrating how close the competition is between the two for the starting role.

Alkema is sporting a 1.46 goals-against average with a .937 save percentage, while Heltion’s numbers are just a tick behind with a 2.05 goals-against average and a .921 save percentage.

Looking forward to this weekend’s set against Illinois, Whetsel said the team has to build off the third period of Saturday’s game.

“They’re a good, fast team and play on a really big rink,” Whetsel said. “I think that’ll be good for our players since we’ve got a lot of speed on the team. We’ve just got to throw pucks to the net and get the dirty, garbage goals.”

As299810@ohiou.edu

@akarl_smith