Jennifer Cochran, a professional massage therapist who has been living in Athens for many years, attends an Athens City Council committee meeting as she recently became an at-large for the council. The meeting was held on Tuesday, Sept. 3. (Mingran Ma | For The Post)

Council sets dates and plans repairs in first meeting since July

Athens City Council is back from recess and met on Tuesday for its first meeting since July 15. The biggest topic of discussion was Halloween, covering precautionary measures for the city’s biggest event of the year.

The Athens Uptown Business Association announced that Halloween will be celebrated on Saturday, Oct. 26 and the children’s Halloween Celebration will be in uptown on Oct. 28.

Aside from Halloween, council members discussed some necessary repairs for local buildings.

The fire escape in the City Building is a current fire hazard and not functioning, so council approved of repairs totaling $65,580, though they asked for $66,500 in case the project costs a little more. Repairs are expected to wrap up before Halloween.

The firehouse has a rubber roof that hasn’t been updated in 20 years, so council approved a restoration project that will cost the city as much as $92,500.

There was some discussion Tuesday night about finding a hybrid police cruiser for Athens Police to replace a totaled one, but at this point no such car exists that can accommodate all the cruiser’s necessities, said Steve Patterson, D-at large. The best option is one with better gas mileage.

“We are on the radar for a more efficient vehicle,” Patterson said.

Tina Timberman, income tax administrator, spoke to council about the Central Collection Agency’s progress in Athens. She said 155 new taxpayers have been accounted since 2012 because of CCA’s efforts. Their total savings to date is $339,000.

“It is a wonderful increase in revenue,” said Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd ward.

The CCA expects the city will earn an additional $50,000 each year, something council said helps the city get money but also helps taxpayers figure out what they owe.

“Your office has been helpful in all these confused dealings rather then being judgmental,” said Council President Jim Sands. “You have always been helpful with our tax payers.”

ck813711@ohiou.edu

@cassirelly

jw384811@ohiou.edu

@jweller107