And Beer, the new brew store on Court Street, was opened this summer by Quinn Schaller, the owner of Big Mamma’s Burritos. (Sara Lowenstein | For The Post)

Athens merchants launch new ventures

New local businesses had been anxiously waiting for students to return to the city of bricks. Now that students are back, they’ve been flooding several new establishments throughout town.

After seeing the success of their W.G. Grinders, 120 W. Union St., Eric Moss and Barb North-Moss decided to expand their restaurant business by opening The Over Hang, 63 N. Court, on Aug 5.

Located in the space that formerly housed The Blue Gator, the restaurant serves “casual, approachable, comfort food” such as burgers, chicken and waffles, and breakfast on the weekends, the owners said.

“We want this to be a place for people to hangout and have hangover food,” North-Moss said.

In addition to its food menu, which has prices ranging from about $6 to $10, The Over Hang is also equipped with a full bar. Its signature drinks include The “F” Bomb, a Jägermeister shot with root beer; The Remedy, a Bloody Mary; and The Brain Stomper, inspired by the original greenery.

“We’re still evolving,” North-Moss said. “We’re excited to see who our student clientele will be. We want The Over Hang to become a Court Street staple.”

Though Ginger Hibachi Kitchen, 28 S. Court St., opened just this past spring, owner Xuegong Chen approached Joe Cockerello about four months ago to become the head chef and part owner of Fusion Noodle Company, his newest restaurant venture.

Planning to open in time for the first week of classes, Fusion Noodle Company, 30 W. Union St., lit its kitchen’s burners last Tuesday.

Fusion Noodle Company serves “fast, casual, affordable and healthy food … fused with a mix of cuisines,” Cockerello said. For about $6 to $8, customers can choose from Italian-inspired dishes such as Penne Alla Vodka, Vietnamese Pho, Pad Thai and more.

“We’re not a ‘Chinese place,’ it’s not at all what we are,” Cockerello said. “Different cuisines of the world are all represented here.”

Known as the burrito man in town, Quinn Schaller, owner of Big Mamma’s Burritos, opened And Beer in the retail space adjacent to his restaurant May 28.

In addition to having “all your basics” such as “your 30-packs of Natty Light,” And Beer carries more than 200 craft beers with a variety of flavors such as stout, porter, ale, IPA, lager and pilsner with a focus on Ohio beers, Schaller said.

Customers can either make their own six pack or purchase a standard pack with average prices ranging from $9 to $12 per pack, he said.

Also new to town is a Jo-Ann Fabrics and Craft Store, 743 E. State St., where crafty Athens residents and OU students can go to fuel their creative endeavors.

On Aug. 8, the store began selling fabrics, home décor, floral accessories and more.

“The passion and expertise of our (employees) combined with insightful product demonstrations and project inspiration, will make this new store a one-stop creative destination in this community,” said Travis Smith, CEO and President of Jo-Ann Stores, Inc., in a news release.

Carrie Smith, an Ohio University senior studying fine arts, said she is excited to have more than the limited bookstore options to purchase her art materials.

“I’m thrilled that Jo-Ann Fabrics has come to Athens,” Smith said. “I’m really happy that I now have a place to buy art supplies instead of going to Columbus or an art store.”

sl642509@ohiou.edu

@SaraLowenstein