Council candidate focuses on children, green energy

Another potential candidate has added her name to a long list of people vying for an at-large seat on Athens City Council.

Jennifer Cochran, a longtime resident of Athens and a massage therapist, added her name to the running for Councilman Elahu Gosney’s, D-at-large, seat along with Ron Luce, executive director of the Athens County Historical Society & Museum, and Michael Bart, manager of Avalanche Pizza and a local DJ.

Cochran said that, if elected, she would like to focus on making Athens a greener city.

“I would like to see the city continue to move toward a greener presence, having more energy-efficient buildings and vehicles,” Cochran said.

Cochran is actively working with the Athens Time Exchange, La Leche League, the Athens Birth Circle and Live Healthy Appalachia.

As a stay-at-home mom, Cochran said she has a unique perspective that she can lend to her work on Council.

“I’m concerned about the safety of our children,” Cochran said. “I would like to move forward with the Safe Routes to School and make sure that our kids are safe in our schools.”

Cochran spent two years teaching English in Armenia, then went on to become assistant director for communication at Ohio University’s Center for International Studies after earning her master’s degree at OU in international affairs.

Cochran now works for Athens Wellness Cooperative and Ping Center as a massage therapist.

Along with Luce and Bart, Cochran will be competing against two current council members: Steve Patterson, D-at large, and Chris Knisley, D-at large.

Gosney announced he would not be running for re-election in January and is excited to see multiple people interested in running for Council.

“What I aimed to do during my time on Council was help city government become more progressive and better represent the people of Athens,” Gosney said. “I think that has happened, and whoever is on Council, I hope, will continue to move the city forward in that way.”

bm471311@ohiou.edu