Non-union employees, councilmembers seek new pay increase

Athens City officials have been trying to hammer out a benefits package for non-union city employees for weeks until city council members presented a plan to remove the nail altogether.

Previously, non-union city employees received pay increases after working for a period of time in addition to yearly pay increases some non-union employees received.

Since only certain employees received the additional pay increases, city employees began receiving pay increases disproportionately.

This system of pay increases was messy and confusing for non-union city employees and was ditched for a simpler system, said City Human Resources Director Claudia Reagan.

“Non-union city employees will now receive a pay increase the first day of every year,” Reagan said.

Pay increases will be determined by a recommendation from Service-Safety Director Paula Horan-Moseley with information from the City Auditor Kathy Hecht. City Council will then vote to confirm the proposed pay increases.

Athens City councilmembers also considered new ways to give themselves pay increases.

Councilmembers currently make $7,685 a year, and a proposed increase of one percent would give them about $75 to $90 more each year. Any increase in the pay for city council members would go into affect on Jan. 1, 2014.

Mayor Paul Wiehl is in the process of receiving permission from city council to enter into an agreement with state officials and the Ohio Department of Development on a housing revolving loan fund.

This agreement with the state is followed by a contract with Hocking-Athens-Perry Tri- County Community Action to administer the housing revolving loan fund.

Loans are designed to help those with a low-to-moderate income make housing improvements. Most importantly it can provide relief for those trying to find a way to make a down payment on a home.

In the past, these loans have been used to provide money for Habitat for Humanity. This multi-year grant will be renewed if members of city council give permission to the mayor to enter into these contracts.

bm471311@ohiou.edu