The salt bin, located at 387 W. State Street, stores the counties road salt reserves. 

Last year's winter leaves Athens with salt to spare for 2013

Both the city of Athens and Athens County will be well prepared when Jack Frost comes to town this winter.

After last year’s very mild winter, both the city and county have plenty of road salt remaining for this year, saving money for both entities.

Athens saw 4.2 inches of total snowfall this year compared to 14.5 inches in 2011, according to the National Climatic Data Center.

Athens County Engineer Archie Stanley oversees the county’s winter preparations and salt purchases.

“We had a really mild winter last year,” Stanley said. “We won’t have to buy any salt this year.”

Athens County currently has between 700 to 1,000 tons of salt remaining from last year, Stanley said, adding that the county does not have room to store any more road salt.

In the event of an icy winter, the county’s contract to purchase salt is good through this year’s winter season, Stanley said.

“We are in the best shape we have been in, in a long time,” he said.

Just like the county, the city of Athens used very little salt during last year’s mild winter, said Andy Stone, director of Engineering and Public Works.

The city purchased $40,000 worth of salt last year and still has about 800 tons on hand, Stone said.

Despite the reserves, Athens has room for more, and the prices this year are low at about $70 per ton. The city has plans to purchase another 1,000 tons at a total cost of $70,000.

“Salt prices are extremely low,” Stone said. “We will purchase enough at the end of the winter to take advantage of the extremely low salt prices.”

Ohio University’s recent change from quarters to semesters has a possible effect on this year’s and future years’ winter preparations, said Paula Horan-Moseley, Athens service-safety director.

“One of the changes might be acknowledging that there are going to be more people around because of the switch from quarters to semesters,” Mosley said.

bm471311@ohiou.edu