Alumni credit OU with international presence, success

Although Ohio University and Nigeria are separated by about 6,000 miles, a few longitudinal lines and an ocean, each has contributed to the achievements of the other.

More than 700 students from Nigeria attended OU during the peak of the relationship between the nation and university, including several high-level politicians and businesspeople.

Former Nigerian Sen. Ken Nnamani said he remains eternally grateful for his time at OU. He attended in the mid-1970s and graduated with a degree in business before receiving an honorary doctorate degree from OU in 2007.

“A whole lot of what I am today can be attributed to my exposure at Ohio University,” Nnamani said.

Nnamani said he had a scholarship with the soccer team and worked at Bird Arena, adding that many other people from Northern Nigeria attended the university as well.

Other prominent Nigerians who attended OU include former Minister of External Affairs Ishaya Audu and Minister of Police Affairs Ibrahim Lame.

“Many in business and government have attended Ohio University,” Nnamani said. “The school has a very strong standing in Northern Nigeria.”

Steve Howard, director of OU’s African Studies Center, said there were between 700 and 800 Nigerian students attending the university during the peak of involvement in the ’70s and ’80s.

“This influx was due to the nation prospering off of oil wells,” Howard said. “After the country went through some difficulties, the number dropped off.”

The number of Nigerian universities has also grown, causing many of the nation’s students to stay in the country for school instead of traveling overseas, Howard said.

Robin Sanders, who was the U.S. Ambassador to Nigeria from 2007-10, graduated from OU with master’s degrees in international relations and communications and journalism.

She said her education at OU was a turning point in her life and career.

“The cultural side of my experience at OU led me (to work internationally),” Sanders said. “If I hadn’t gone to OU, I’m not sure I would’ve ended up doing what I did.”

Once arriving in Nigeria, Sanders said she noticed immediately how highly Nigerians thought of OU.

“The alumni from OU in Nigeria are very prolific and have been keeping their spirit alive,” Sanders said. “They just have an appreciation for the experience that the university gave them.”

The relationship between OU and Nigeria has changed in recent years because security concerns in the country have restricted travel, meaning that OU has been unable to send students to study abroad in Nigeria, Howard said.

“The (U.S.) State Department would have to lift its sanctions before we could ever think about sending students there to study,” Howard said.

Sanders said she acknowledges the security challenges the nation faces but believes the country has the capability to become the powerhouse nation in Africa.

“It’s a really fascinating country,” Sanders said. “There are challenges, namely security challenges, but that shouldn’t diminish anyone’s view of it. There are a lot of good news stories coming out of the country; we just don’t hear about them here.”

Nnamani said he can see OU and Nigeria remaining connected far into the future.

“OU can provide somebody who wants to come back to Nigeria with a great education,” Nnamani said. “The school will continue to play a role in Nigeria; many parents there can attest to the quality of education and will encourage their children to go to OU.”

as299810@ohiou.edu