U.S. Rep. Steve Stivers, R-15th (left), speaks during his debate with Democrat Patrick Lang at Lancaster City Council chambers on Oct. 24. (Brien Vincent | Staff Photographer)

Congressional debate pits Lang against Stivers in Lancaster

The candidates competing for Ohio’s 15th congressional seat showed they might be more alike than not during a Wednesday-night debate in Lancaster.

Republican incumbent Rep. Steve Stivers discussed the job market, hydraulic fracturing, college affordability and gay marriage during the debate against Democratic challenger Pat Lang.

The candidates spoke from behind podiums for about an hour to a room full of about 100 attentive listeners.

First, the candidates were asked about rising college costs. Stivers said he believes college affordability is key for economic development.

“I have worked to protect Pell Grants, even though we have had a spending crisis and need cuts,” Stivers said. “I also made sure interest rates don’t double.

I’ll work hard to make sure we look out for you.”

Lang — an Ohio University alumnus and Athens Law Director — approached the question with a different perspective, speaking on his experiences receiving federal funding for education.

“This is an issue that is very close to my heart,” Lang said. “I wouldn’t have been able to go to college if there wasn’t federal funding available.”

Lang said he has a goal for every child from central and southeast Ohio to be able to receive a complete education.

“Student aid and college accessibility is too important to play around with,” Lang said.

The debate then moved to the candidates’ feelings on same-sex marriage. Lang said the government should not be able to discriminate against individuals who identify as LGBT and added he would actively work to reverse the Defense of Marriage Act, which withholds federal benefits from individuals identifying as LGBT who are legally recognized as a couple by their state.

“This is blatantly unconstitutional,” Lang said.

However, Stivers offered a different view.

“I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman,” he said.

The debate then made a quick transition to the jobs market, which Stivers said forced 50 percent of college graduates to move back in with their parents after graduating.

“We have to get small businesses engaged and create the jobs you’ll need after college,” Stivers said.

Stivers outlined his four-part jobs plan, which is made up of reforms to regulations, taxes, healthcare and energy.

“This will make us competitive with the rest of the world and ensure you get a job,” Stivers said.

Lang’s economic plan focused on repairing infrastructure, keeping money in education, lowering health care costs and ending tax incentives to companies that ship jobs overseas.

“People think that those that are poor in Southeast Ohio are lazy,” Lang said.

“This couldn’t be more untrue. I know many people there who are aching to work. The unemployment rate doesn’t mean anyone there isn’t hardworking.”

The candidates agreed on the final topic of the debate, both saying hydraulic fracturing should be pursued with techniques that protect the environment.

“Fracking provides real opportunity; we need energy independence,” Stivers said. “We just need regulations out there to make sure it’s done safely.”

Lang agreed, adding science-based policies are needed to regulate the controversial drilling technique.

Chad Sonnitt, a journalism instructor at Lancaster High School, said he thought the candidates did a great job representing themselves during the debate.

“Both sides laid out all of their points and answered the questions fully and directly,” Sonnitt said. “The people of the 15th district really learned a lot tonight.”

as299810@ohiou.edu