Seth Streich pitches to the Miami RedHawks with a runner on base during the Bobcats’ last regular season game at Bob Wren Stadium. Ohio lost to Miami 6-3, with Miami taking two out of three games in this weekend’s series. (Robin Hecker | For The Post)

Baseball: Ohio seniors prepare for postseason push

“Carbone Day” Saturday at Bob Wren Stadium meant a graduating class that has done great things for Ohio was slightly overlooked.

Eight names were rattled off, each with its fair share of accomplishments. But, as Ohio coach Joe Carbone has preached to his players throughout their careers, and to the generations of players that preceded them, it’s not the accomplishments that matter but what is learned while accomplishing them.

After losing to Xavier by five runs two weeks ago, Carbone decided to call off practice the following day. He said his team needed to rest.

But when he came out to the ball field the next day, he found his team dressed and ready as usual. The Bobcats had decided they didn’t need a day off and instead opted for an informal run-through.

“It was kind of expected from the seniors and myself that people would come out and do the work they have to do,” said junior starting pitcher and team captain Seth Streich. “It’s a collective thing from the seniors. Everyone has a strength as a leader that they bring to the team.”

The Bobcats rode the extra burst of energy through the following weekend, during which they beat Akron in three straight games. The sweep eventually led to the Zips’ demise, as they missed out on the Mid-American Conference Tournament by half a game.

The Bobcats rode that momentum into their next game, a midweek matchup against a respectable Dayton squad. They took the Flyers by five runs.

“The fact that we’re staying strong and guys are out here pretty much daily working on their game shows how much we really want it coming down to the end and we’re not going to stop,” said senior center fielder and captain Ethan Newton.

The good vibes were toned down last weekend, where Ohio fell in two of its three bouts with rival Miami.

However, heading into the season’s home stretch, the Bobcats are relying more than ever on those who have been there before.

“I look up to just about every senior on the team,” said first baseman Jake Madsen. “They’ve been here for four years, and I’m just a freshman and am still looking for what to do. They’ve been here a while, and I can really look up to them and learn a lot of things.”

Ohio does not have a singular ringleader but has more of a leadership-by-committee style of governance.

Carbone said that he keeps a hands-off approach when it comes to his captains, in turn trusting them to keep the team in line.

Their extra effort is not as much a novelty as it is an expectation.

“It just shows our passion for the game,” Newton said. “Obviously, we want to win, but it shows that we really get enjoyment every time we’re out here and just playing the game every chance we get.”

jr992810@ohiou.edu